Profile name format with .NET

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

JFB

Profile name format with .NET

Post by JFB » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:43 am

Hello all,

Developing in C# for an application (.NET 4.7.2), I'm using the wrapper in the SDK 4 to connect the SpaceMouse.
To connect the device by using the method Open3DMouse(string), I have to enter a profile name.
Setting a name having letters with accent (like 'Pièce') raises the COM exception (in french):
"Indicateur proposé incorrect (Exception de HRESULT : 0x80040001 (OLE_E_ADVF))"
Is there some limitations on the name to purpose, as only ASCII format, or is there a mean to have letters with accent, and globally unicode text, because I would show name on the device in chinese and japanese format.

Thank you!

ngomes

Re: Profile name format with .NET

Post by ngomes » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:42 am

JFB wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:43 am
Is there some limitations on the name to purpose, as only ASCII format,
The parameter passed to Navigation3D.Open3DMouse(string) is limited to an ASCII string, yes. This happens in the marshalling to native code.

I don't know why we have that limitation. We're looking into it.

Converting the string to a UTF-8 sequence of characters may work but I'm not sure you'd want to rely on that in production.
Nuno Gomes

ngomes

Re: Profile name format with .NET

Post by ngomes » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:52 pm

We're tracking this with reference WIN-1081 and we have modified the marshalling to support the full Unicode character set in Navigation3D.Open3DMouse() in the assembly included in v. 10.8.8 of 3DxWare 10.