using 3d space mouse pro in milestone system (PTZ cctv cams)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

malekfata123

Post by malekfata123 »

Hello dears,
we need your support as we need to controll 3dx space mouse pro PTZ cameras via milestone CCTV client software.
we have installed its latest driver however the functionality of joystick is not correct and not understood by vms software. sometimes when you move the joystick the camera pans 360 degree without stop.
I think if make the space mouse work as if standard mouse that is move the hand like windows and scroll to zoom in and zoom it will be a solution.

pleasee let me know your feedback.
regards,
Malek
jwick

Re: using 3d space mouse pro in milestone system (PTZ cctv cams)

Post by jwick »

PTZ cameras are an ideal application of the 3D mouse, IMO.

The driver will probably need to be told the specifics about the software you are trying to control.
Are you the software developer or an end-user?

Do you know how the software is accessing the device?
There are many options available--most of which don't work correctly without some tuning.
malekfata123

Post by malekfata123 »

no we am the system integrator , we supply CCTV solutions and we brought one 3d space mouse pro for one of our important projects .
however we are having problem controlling PTZ it seems yes its not being understood by software.
we can give you teamviewer or anydesk to check it and let us know if there is a solution?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Milestone Systems is in Munich? Maybe that's a sales office.
Do you have a technical contact at Milestone?

We need to find out if they support joysticks, and how to configure them.
They may have a panel in their software to allow configuration.
We have to make the driver send what they are expecting.
Without that knowledge, the driver is probably sending mouse scroll wheel events to the app. This is the default for all apps that it doesn't have better information about.
malekfata123

Post by malekfata123 »

Dear,
Thank you for your reply.

milestone says that if mouse pro acts as on windows it will function inside the software the same.
however the joystick lets the ptz rotates infinte once we mode the joystick..
i used the file Desktop.cfg that is forcing the joystick to act as a mouse.
the knob acted as a mouse , moving in X and Yaxis, while rotating the knob its like scrolling up and down.
in the milestone software the rotating knobing is giving zoom in and zoom out of camera which is great. however i want the move of knob in y axis (up and down) i want the camera to tilt up and down , similar to x axis (pan left and right) which is not working as needed.
moving knob up down left or right is just moving cursor..
can we add into the desktop.cfg any command to do so?
regards,
jwick

Post by jwick »

It is possible that a 2D mouse emulation mode could do what you want, but there are better APIs to use.

Windows has APIs for physical joysticks (like used in flight sim games).
If the application has support for those, it is likely to work better.
Please find out if the application has support for game joysticks.

There are even better APIs available, but it is rare for applications to support those.
STUBBN01

Post by STUBBN01 »

Hi guys, not sure if this helps but I purchased a wireless space mouse for CAD but I also felt the expensive price tag was a waste just for CAD and wanted to use it as a 2D mouse also. I went back to the supplier who worked out that the wired version works as both 2D and 3D mouse however the wireless version was only 3D. After I made a fair bit of a scene and had the supplier see the bigger picture they went back to 3Dconnection who had one of their programmers create a code for me so I can use it as a functional 2D mouse. There was no extra cost involved only the show of teeth and claws however it works on every system I have the code file copied onto. Only issue is its very overkill as a 2D mouse due to the sensitivity vs speed.
happy to share the code with whoever needs it just email me and ill be happy to help.

Regards

Mike
STUBBN01

Post by STUBBN01 »

Hi guys, not sure if this helps but I purchased a wireless space mouse for CAD but I also felt the expensive price tag was a waste just for CAD and wanted to use it as a 2D mouse also. I went back to the supplier who worked out that the wired version works as both 2D and 3D mouse however the wireless version was only 3D. After I made a fair bit of a scene and had the supplier see the bigger picture they went back to 3Dconnection who had one of their programmers create a code for me so I can use it as a functional 2D mouse. There was no extra cost involved only the show of teeth and claws however it works on every system I have the code file copied onto. Only issue is its very overkill as a 2D mouse due to the sensitivity vs speed.
happy to share the code with whoever needs it just email me and ill be happy to help.

Regards

Mike
sezziness

Post by sezziness »

Has anyone received this file, any feedback on if it works?