COM API / Spaceball 4000 FLX

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

Michael Gibson

COM API / Spaceball 4000 FLX

Post by Michael Gibson »

Hi, I have used your COM SDK to add support for your devices to my CAD application.

One of my users has a Spaceball 4000 FLX device, and they are reporting that it does not work with my application. I asked them to download the newest driver but that did not solve their problem.

Is there some problem where the COM SDK does not work with certain models of your hardware or something?

Thanks,

- Michael
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Michael,

Support for the SpaceBall 4000 FLX was discontinued years ago. Your user should be able to download an old driver from our legacy archive (3dx web page->support->download drivers->some device->archive).

I think it will still work but he would have to install TDxInput.dll separately. TDxInput (the COM server) only comes with the new release (that doesn't support the old 4000). You can redistribute that to him if you want. He just has to manually register it.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
Michael Gibson

Post by Michael Gibson »

Hi Jim, thanks for your swift reply!

I've sent him the TDxInput.dll and instructions to register it.

If this does work, it sure would be nice from my perspective if the older drivers were updated to include TDxInput.dll so that they would work with newer programs using your COM SDK. It's a lot easier from a support standpoint for me to just tell my users to "get the latest drivers" to make their device work, rather than send them DLLs and instructions on manually registering.

Even if you don't want to crack open the legacy drivers, it would be helpful if you posted a mini installer that would just install TDxInput.dll, you could offer this alongside the legacy drivers labeled as an "SDK update" or something like that. Some people would find that and get running without having to contact anybody for support.

- Michael
Michael Gibson

Post by Michael Gibson »

2 different customers reported that manually installing TDxInput.dll made my app work with their older devices, so that's great!

It would definitely be cool if they could get an installer for this from you guys.

It seems weird that I need to distribute the DLL myself and tell them to register it to get their old devices working. These customers would much more expect to see some kind of software update for their device on your guys' driver download area.

Thanks,

- Michael
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Michael,

We definitely will not be cracking open the old driver code base and installation. I'll ask around about having someone do a stand-alone TDxInput installation.

What does your application do? Is it something we can add to our list of supported applications?

Jim
Michael Gibson

Post by Michael Gibson »

Hi Jim, thanks for asking around. I can understand not wanting to mess with the old drivers. A standalone TDxInput would be a nice compromise though.

> What does your application do?

It's a new CAD application for Windows, currently in beta but almost finished. It's here: http://moi3d.com

> Is it something we can add to our list of supported applications?

Yup, that would be great!

Thanks,

- Michael
JBM

Spacemouse 4000 3dsmax 9

Post by JBM »

Hello i have bought a Spacemouse 4000 by mistake last week i believed it was a 5000... now i have to make it work with my 3dsmax 9, i was really disapointed when i saw there was no driver support with new releases of my software. Is it to make more money ?
Is possible to make it work ? is there a way to hack the driver to do it ? Thanks for your replies. JB
JBM

Spacemouse 4000 3dsmax 9

Post by JBM »

Hello i have bought a Spacemouse 4000 by mistake last week i believed it was a 5000... now i have to make it work with my 3dsmax 9, i was really disapointed when i saw there was no driver support with new releases of my software. Is it to make more money ?
Is possible to make it work ? is there a way to hack the driver to do it ? Thanks for your replies. JB