Autodesk Showcase

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

jdmitchell

Autodesk Showcase

Post by jdmitchell »

I'm surprised there is currently no support for Autodesk Showcase. If there are others who would also like to see this addition, please make yourselves heard.
ACEDeSmedt

Post by ACEDeSmedt »

Count me in for a support in Autodesk ShowCase
(Using the SpaceExplorer)
kinglevel

Post by kinglevel »

i want it too.. would be usefull...
Jimmy Gunz

Post by Jimmy Gunz »

Im in! I am surprised there is no support; the program/3d shell is almost identical to inventor/Autocad 3d...has there been any breakthrough since the first post?
dalibu

Post by dalibu »

yes, it is such a natural.
drnewbury

Post by drnewbury »

Agreed, me too! :)

Hopefully bunkspeed's shot has support too.
salariua

Need it too

Post by salariua »

Showcase is a must and I think it's really easy since is similar with other Autodesk products for which motion enable exists
sac

does the 3dconnexion work on bunkspeed shot and move?

Post by sac »

I have recently purchased a 3dconnexion mouse and have a few questions!

does it work on bunkspeed shot and move?
UtaSH

Re: does the 3dconnexion work on bunkspeed shot and move?

Post by UtaSH »

Hi sac,

you can find a list of all supported applications here. Bunkspeed is not there. You should contact Bunkspeed and request support for the 3D mouse there. We have an SDK for developers that can be dowloaded here.
DaveLock

Re: Need it too

Post by DaveLock »

salariua wrote: Showcase is a must and I think it's really easy since is similar with other Autodesk products for which motion enable exists
I briefly looked into writing a plug-in for Showcase to have 3Dx input, & from my investigation I don't think this statement is actually correct.

The Showcase SDK says that plug-ins are written in python. It is true that Maya, XSI, Motion Builder etc also have python scripting, but the spaceball functionality is not in a python script, it's in a DLL for each of them. For example the Motion Builder 3Dx functionality resides in \bin\win32\extensions\spaceball.dll.

The Autodesk products may look & feel the same, & have some of the same extension style (such as python scripts), but their architecture isn't the same. That's probably because they are each still developed by the teams that developed them before their acquision into Autodesk.

I'm not saying it's impossible to add 3Dx functionality to Showcase, but with my brief investigation it didn't look so promising. :(

Dave.
When I think of something profound & original to say, I'll cut & paste it here.