Ghost-scrolling in Unity

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

PremierBromanov

Ghost-scrolling in Unity

Post by PremierBromanov »

Hey there, We've been trying to solve this bug for awhile and we've narrowed the problem down to the SpaceNavigator plugin for unity.

The issue is that when we try to use scroll-views in Unity (editor and builds), they automatically scroll back up to the top. Clicking on buttons in scroll views shows them sequentially highlighted from bottom to top. Here's a video of this behavior in an empty project https://streamable.com/yzua0 it's worth noting that, even if there is a game-object between separate scroll views, each with their own buttons (such as are in our app), it will still sequentially highlight them from bottom to top, which might be an indicator that it follows game-object hierarchy, since we use vertical layout groups to setup our UI.

I believe the culprit is Base Input script, which we can't access. Clicking anywhere on the Editor GUI resets this behavior for a short time. For example, clearing the logs or clicking the inspector.

You can replicate this bug in an empty project. Import the SpaceNavigator. Then, create a new scene. Create a canvas and add a Scroll View by right clicking on the canvas. In the scroll view object, find the child named Content, add a vertical layout group. Then, child several buttons to the Content object. Give the buttons a highlight color. There should be an event system automatically placed, but if not, be sure to add one. It should also have a BaseInput component. Hit play, click the bottom of the scroll bar, and observe. Click a button and observe.

Hoping there is a fix for this.
UtaSH

Re: Ghost-scrolling in Unity

Post by UtaSH »

Hello PremierBromanov,

if it is a problem with Unity you will have to report the issue to Unity.
PremierBromanov

Hi UtaSH, just to clarify:

I've discovered the problem is with your script (which i can't access), is that still something I should report to unity? I don't know if I would have the right information to report a bug with your asset package.
jwick

Post by jwick »

What script are you referring to?
What Unity plugin did you install? Where did you get it?
PremierBromanov

The script in question is the BaseInput.cs class, which gets attached to EventSystems automatically. The package is from the asset store https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/t ... river-9774

I had assumed it was your script (maybe its not) since it doesn't get added automatically without the asset package. We've found that even with just the package in our project the ghost-scrolling issue pops up, even if we don't have a mouse plugged in, as long as the BaseInput script is in the scene.
jwick

Post by jwick »

No, that's not ours. I recall seeing it years ago (or another one like it). It was pretty nice. Really nice in fact.

We do use Unity for one of our demos, so it isn't a generic Unity problem. We don't use that interface.

You'll have to contact the developer. If he needs any help from us he can contact us.
He might have when he did the original development. Someone that did something like this did.
seanastin

Post by seanastin »

You should report the issue to Unity.
jwick

Post by jwick »

It's not a Unity problem. It's probably the plugin that you are using assigning this (I had the same problem).
Which plugin are you using?
Would you be interested in testing something new?
Romana

Post by Romana »

I am experiencing the same problem but with the Rewired Asset.

@PremierBromanov have you found a solution to the Problem? Do you really think the culprit is the Base Input script. When I add an Event System to a new project without adding anything else the Base Input script also gets added on play.
talleychan

Post by talleychan »

It isn't a Unity issue. It's most likely the plugin you're running that's doing this (I had the same problem). What plugin do you have installed?
Would you be willing to try something new?
davidtom

Post by davidtom »

Has anyone dealt with this problem? I have exactly the same problem and I must admit it is terribly irritating. :(
jwick

Post by jwick »

Which device?
What plugin are you using to support the 3D mouse in Unity (if any)?
Which Input System / Input manager do you have enabled?

It appears that Unity does try to support multiaxis devices like the 3D mouse. It doesn't work.
It may also be identifying the 3Dx Joystick emulator, also poorly.

Check your Action maps to make sure there is nothing in there.

And stay tuned...
davidtom

Post by davidtom »

I've tried different things and can't find a solution.

My device is: SpaceMouse Wireless
The problem occurs on every input manager. I even tried Rewired but it doesn't help either.
In my case it doesn't matter if SpaceNavigator is installed. Even without it, this problem occurs.
Action maps are fine. I even checked it on new projects. The same is happening everywhere.
The problem does not occur when I disable the 3Dconnexion drivers in the task manager. But then I can't use the SpaceMouse...

The problem is not just in the editor. In a built Unity game, this also happens.

Anyone else have any ideas how to fix this?
jwick

Post by jwick »

davidtom

Post by davidtom »

You're right! Thank you! I did exactly as you wrote in that thread. Everything works fine now.

If someone has a problem like me, below is what needs to be changed (in the case of old input):

Get Motion from all Joysticks -> Joystick 1

For new version of input manager, do as jwick wrote in another thread.

Thanks again and best regards! :)