Space Mouse Enterprise...twisting the knob forces the other axis to zero

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

notkevinhise

Space Mouse Enterprise...twisting the knob forces the other axis to zero

Post by notkevinhise »

It appears that when you're pushing the knob left-right or forward-back (lateral motion), and you then twist the knob at the same time, that action mechanically forces the lateral movement axis values back to zero. Or maybe it's the driver that does it. It can be kind of confusing, because you can "accidentally" twist the knob in the process of pushing it, however I was hoping to use the lateral, twist, and up/down actions of the knob simultaneously. But they don't seem to work that way in reality. I don't think it affects the tilt axis (tilting forward and back, side to side) as much...but it may.

I'm just looking at raw values from the windows event handler and dumping them to the screen, so I can see when the lateral axis values go to zero or are attenuated when the knob is turned at the same time.

Am I misinterpreting something?

Thanks.
jwick

Re: Space Mouse Enterprise...twisting the knob forces the other axis to zero

Post by jwick »

This is a hardware limitation. There is interference inside the mechanism when you get to the extremes. You can feel it.
It is only completely linear in all 6 DOF toward the center of the movement. I don't have an actual number, but I'd guess +/- 250.

The device is meant to be used with fairly little force and displacement. This is ideal for all day use in MCAD design.