API keys for 3Dconnection mouse or pro?

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

Gcobza2010

API keys for 3Dconnection mouse or pro?

Post by Gcobza2010 »

Hi Team

I have this link, but i dont seem to get the API keys for Translation X, Y, Z, Yaw https://3dconnexion.com/uk/software-developer-program/. Anyone can help on this regard its import for my project?
ngomes

Re: API keys for 3Dconnection mouse or pro?

Post by ngomes »

Hi Gcobza2010,
Gcobza2010 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:05 am I have this link, but i dont seem to get the API keys for Translation X, Y, Z, Yaw
Not sure if I follow what you're asking for. Are you trying to get to the 3D mouse raw data for a special project? If so, there are a number of options depending on what you're trying to do. If you can give us a few more details, perhaps we can suggest a way for you to move forward.
Nuno Gomes
Gcobza2010

Post by Gcobza2010 »

Hi

Yes i want to get a raw data, but i must first get API key from each X, Y, Z hope make some sense, have installed the driver 3D connectionViewer. Please advice me how to get about this issue as i am stuck, thanks.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Gcobza2010 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:06 am Yes i want to get a raw data, but i must first get API key from each X, Y, Z
What sort of software are you working on?

For example, if you're working on a higher-level software like a CAD program, we would recommend you to look at the latest SDK (available for download in the developer area at 3Dconnexion.com). On the other hand, if you're looking at a low-level program for a very specific project, you may want to consider Raw Input on Windows or libusb.
Gcobza2010

Post by Gcobza2010 »

Hi Team

Let me share my requirement in order for you guys to understand me completely,

I need some software written that gets X, Y, Z translations and rotations from a 3D connexion space mouse and publishes the data to a MQTT topic on a specific broker.

The user interface must have the following settings:
1. Broker address and port.
2. Update frequency (default: 10 milliseconds)

The data must be formatted as a JSON document with keys for Translation X , Translation Y, Translation Z, Pitch, Roll, Yaw . // How to find API keys for these?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Are both pieces of software running on the same machine?

The driver has an extension mechanism which you can use to convert the device data into whatever form you need.
You create a cfg file that tells the driver to call a DLL/Exe that you write instead of sending the data through one of our APIs. It sends the raw axis and button data to that DLL. You can convert it to JSON and send it wherever you want.

I can send you examples of how to use it. Sign up as a developer so I can send you the files.

You can also use one of the other suggested APIs. In the end the only difference is whether the driver is involved. Using our driver isolates you from some of the differences between various 3D mice. But it is another piece of software in the way.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

If you just want to log the data to a MQTT service, I'd take a simplistic approach: use libusb to retrieve the data (you can make this portable use it on Windows, Linux or macOS) and send it to the MQTT server.

You will bypass all the driver goodness but that's probably not an issue for you.
Gcobza2010

Post by Gcobza2010 »

jwick wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:23 am Are both pieces of software running on the same machine?

The driver has an extension mechanism which you can use to convert the device data into whatever form you need.
You create a cfg file that tells the driver to call a DLL/Exe that you write instead of sending the data through one of our APIs. It sends the raw axis and button data to that DLL. You can convert it to JSON and send it wherever you want.

I can send you examples of how to use it. Sign up as a developer so I can send you the files.

You can also use one of the other suggested APIs. In the end the only difference is whether the driver is involved. Using our driver isolates you from some of the differences between various 3D mice. But it is another piece of software in the way.
HI Is there a link to register as a developer? Is there any tutorial to do this perhaps? Reason being i am new to this platform no experience, but i am keen to learn.
Gcobza2010

Post by Gcobza2010 »

ngomes wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:16 am If you just want to log the data to a MQTT service, I'd take a simplistic approach: use libusb to retrieve the data (you can make this portable use it on Windows, Linux or macOS) and send it to the MQTT server.

You will bypass all the driver goodness but that's probably not an issue for you.
But you see the objective here is to first get API keys first for those transalation like X, Y. thereafter i can write code in Python Paho Mqtt-Client to read raw data to be JSON format pass it over to the broker, hope make sense now.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Gcobza2010

Post by Gcobza2010 »

jwick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:13 am Software Developer Page
I have register on the developer forum, what is my next step after this? saw some sdk to be downloaded. Must i download the sdk for my requirement?
Gcobza2010

Post by Gcobza2010 »

Gcobza2010 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:13 am
jwick wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:13 am Software Developer Page
I have register on the developer forum, what is my next step after this? saw some sdk to be downloaded. Must i download the sdk for my requirement?
I want to write a software in python paho-mqtt client for these translation x, y, z etc. Need some examples as well so can have an understanding better.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Gcobza2010 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:25 am I want to write a software in python paho-mqtt client for these translation x, y, z etc. Need some examples as well so can have an understanding better.
We can help with the 3D mouse data decoding and how to access it. The requirements for your solution are up to you to define.

You mention Python and MQTT. I assume that you build a Python script that takes 3D mouse data and forwards it to a MQTT service. What happens in the other end of the MQTT service is unknown but that sounds like a cool project.

What data do you need to forward? If it's only the 3D mouse raw data, use libusb. It's cross-platform and you should be able to find examples on how to use it.

We have an example of using libusb on Linux. If you're interested, get in touch with the API Support team. The contact details are available on the Developer Area.
Gcobza2010

Post by Gcobza2010 »

ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:05 am
Gcobza2010 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:25 am I want to write a software in python paho-mqtt client for these translation x, y, z etc. Need some examples as well so can have an understanding better.
We can help with the 3D mouse data decoding and how to access it. The requirements for your solution are up to you to define.

You mention Python and MQTT. I assume that you build a Python script that takes 3D mouse data and forwards it to a MQTT service. What happens in the other end of the MQTT service is unknown but that sounds like a cool project. // The dimension from the broker must send them as json format

What data do you need to forward? If it's only the 3D mouse raw data, use libusb. It's cross-platform and you should be able to find examples on how to use it.

We have an example of using libusb on Linux. If you're interested, get in touch with the API Support team. The contact details are available on the Developer Area.
Yes i want to write it using python-paho mqtt, the raw data of those dimension be send as json format. Are there any examples to this end? What kind of example for using libusb on Linux,?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Gcobza2010 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:27 am Yes i want to write it using python-paho mqtt, the raw data of those dimension be send as json format. Are there any examples to this end? What kind of example for using libusb on Linux,?
We have code we can share to show you how to get the device data using libusb on Linux. We don't have any examples on how to them forward this to MQTT but your MQTT service application ought to have an API an examples.

If you want to have a look at the libusb example for Linux, get in touch with 3Dconnexion's API Support team (contact details in the Developer Area site as linked in your original post above).