Can I get access to 3D mouse features via windows HID API?

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

IgorM

Post by IgorM »

Hi there

There is any documentation about that?
jwick

Re: Can I get access to 3D mouse features via windows HID API?

Post by jwick »

You can use many APIs to read USB device data.
There are some trade offs.

If you use our API, it will insulate your code from differences in the device the user has attached. You shouldn't need to change your code when a new device is released.
When you use one of the Microsoft APIs, your code tends to get tied to a specific hardware implementation.

If you want to use HID, there are samples available from Microsoft. You can also sign up as a developer on our web site, send us an email and we can email you some sample code to start with.

You will need to tell the driver which API you are using, to get it to behave correctly when your app is in focus. Or don't run our driver.
If you don't run our driver you give up a lot of convenient capabilities. It all depends on your situation.
IgorM

Re: Can I get access to 3D mouse features via windows HID API?

Post by IgorM »

Currently our usage scenario is quite limited. We are using raw input from mouse to get translate and rotate vectors produced by mouse joystick.
That is more then enough to control view's camera.
Unfortunately this method is not working via RDP session.
I have to use HID API because it is redirecting in RDP

I have looked at samples provided in SDK and it seems driver API proposed is too high level.
It wants to set for me all 3d view properties what is not quite suitable...

I will take you advice to request some code examples about reading mouse input via HID API.

Thank you for help!