Lifetime of version 3.4 SDK

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

harry.buttery

Lifetime of version 3.4 SDK

Post by harry.buttery »

Hi,

I'm currently looking at updating the 3D Mouse support in the software I work on from version 3.4 to 4.0(.2). I wanted to ask how long the version 3.4 SDK is likely to remain working with future updates to the drivers/products? - I understand that in version 4.0 button event codes are hidden away to avoid the device specific codes that required handling by client software in version 3.4. Further to this, will an implementation of version 4.0 cause older devices to stop working with our software, or would this just require the user to update their drivers?
ngomes

Re: Lifetime of version 3.4 SDK

Post by ngomes »

harry.buttery wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:12 am I wanted to ask how long the version 3.4 SDK is likely to remain working with future updates to the drivers/products?
Although the 3.4 SDK is deprecated, the API is supported in the latest drivers. The API is expected to remain in supported status for quite some time.
will an implementation of version 4.0 cause older devices to stop working with our software, or would this just require the user to update their drivers?
Switching to version 4 means requiring the driver in v. 10.6.5 of 3DxWare 10 (or newer). The new API was added much earlier but that's the documented minimum version.

Refer to this KB article for the list of discontinued devices. The most recent device that was discontinued -- and its last driver is older than 10.6.5 -- is the SpaceExplorer USB, a type launched in 2006.
harry.buttery

Re: Lifetime of version 3.4 SDK

Post by harry.buttery »

Thanks for this and your speedy response.