Qt implementation

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

jwick

Qt implementation

Post by jwick »

This post contains some sample code for using the 3D mouse in Qt.
pperisin

License question

Post by pperisin »

Hi jwick,

I have used exactly this code to implement space navigator support for FreeCAD - Open source solid 3D modeler. free-cad.sf.net

I did not publish code yet because I need license info. This project releases most of it's code under LGPL license.

On the same link you posted, first question that was asked to David Dibben (creator of QT support for space navigator on windows) was about the license. He said:
"I am happy for you to do whatever you like with the code. However, it was heavily based on the original 3D Connexion SDK which just supported MFC/ATL applications. That SDK is freely available (http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/soft ... loper.html) but has its own license agreement."
So, I have a question - I have attached zip file with 5 documents. Two of them were made before, while developing space navigator support for linux (GuiApplicationNativeEventAware header and implementation file), and they already have a license (LGPL). I have heavily modified these files, and I have added 3 more files which do not have any license so far (made by David Dibben).

I need to know am I allowed to use existing license (LGPL) on all this files?
If not, What kind of license do you allow to be added to these files?

I did not download SDK (could not find it) - I just used code posted in link above, and did all development from them.

Best Regards,
Petar
pperisin

License question

Post by pperisin »

Hi jwick,

I have used exactly this code to implement space navigator support for FreeCAD - Open source solid 3D modeler. free-cad.sf.net

I did not publish code yet because I need license info. This project releases most of it's code under LGPL license.

On the same link you posted, first question that was asked to David Dibben (creator of QT support for space navigator on windows) was about the license. He said:
"I am happy for you to do whatever you like with the code. However, it was heavily based on the original 3D Connexion SDK which just supported MFC/ATL applications. That SDK is freely available (http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/soft ... loper.html) but has its own license agreement."
So, I have a question - I have attached zip file with 5 documents. Two of them were made before, while developing space navigator support for linux (GuiApplicationNativeEventAware header and implementation file), and they already have a license (LGPL). I have heavily modified these files, and I have added 3 more files which do not have any license so far (made by David Dibben).

I need to know am I allowed to use existing license (LGPL) on all this files?
If not, What kind of license do you allow to be added to these files?

I did not download SDK (could not find it) - I just used code posted in link above, and did all development from them.

Best Regards,
Petar
ngomes

Re: Qt implementation

Post by ngomes »

Hi pperisin,

It seems that your code has source copied from one the SDK samples. This is fine provided that you follow the terms of the SDK license. You only need to make sure the following SDK license provision is met:

"[...]
2. Attribution Requirements and Trademark License:

2.1 In the format set forth below, you must provide attribution to 3Dconnexion in one of the following locations: (1) the "About" or "Info" box menu items (or equivalent) of your software application, (2) the "Read me" files, or (3) on your web site:

Development tools and related technology provided under license from 3Dconnexion.
(c) 1992 - 2012 3Dconnexion. All rights reserved.
[...]"

Simply include a "Readme" file stating the above and that is it.
Nuno Gomes
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

thank you very much.

Regards,
Petar
PWhite

Post by PWhite »

Sorry, I know this post is very old.

Is there any more information about what parts of the Qt implementation sample attached is taken from the SDK? I can see I3dMouseParams.h file notes this but I wanted to be sure what exactly is taken.

Also, on the topic of licenses, is it okay to use the code in a commercial product?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

PWhite wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:03 am Also, on the topic of licenses, is it okay to use the code in a commercial product?
As mentioned above, you can use the 3Dconnexion SDK source in commercial and non-commercial projects as long as you accept and abide by the terms of the SDK license.

Again, this applies to the source included in 3Dconnexion's SDK. I don't have any information on the other source code of the Qt demo program.
PWhite

Post by PWhite »

Great, thank you for the information.