Space Navigator Tilt Axis Affecting Mouse Scroll Wheel

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

CFarrell

Space Navigator Tilt Axis Affecting Mouse Scroll Wheel

Post by CFarrell »

Hey, I'm new here, but I've been writing my own application for a game I'm developing in java. My program helps me create animations with character models - here is a pic:

I just implemented some code to enable my space navigator so I could pan and rotate around my character, but I've noticed that when I use the tilt axis it affects my captured input from my mouse scroll wheel (which I use for zoom, as I assume that most people won't have 3d mice). I disabled the SN code and noticed that the tilt axis still affect the mouse wheel. If I disable the mouse wheel capture then the space navigator interacts with my program as expected (I can pan, tilt, rotate, etc. perfectly), so I know that it is polling data as if it were a 3d mouse just fine. My question is - is there some option to allow the tilt axis to act as a mouse scroll wheel somewhere that I've missed or a way to disable this function programmatically so that I don't have to disable mouse wheel capture with a 3d mouse connected?

Just to clarify, I'm on 3DxWare 10.0.11 and 3DxWinCore 17.0.19 (if that is all important). I can elaborate any details if that will help as well - just would like to get this fixed!
CFarrell

Re: Space Navigator Tilt Axis Affecting Mouse Scroll Wheel

Post by CFarrell »

I have found a quick hack to fix my issue for the time being; polling the mouse scroll wheel if the tilt axis on the space navigator doesn't register as neutral - this effectively clears the mouse scroll (because I poll it again later). So this isn't a real fix, but effectively users won't notice this issue in the program, however if anyone does have a real answer I would still greatly appreciate it!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Nice application.

It sounds like you are using the default profile (which does map the 3D mouse tilt to the mousewheel). Make a profile for your application using the 3D Mouse template.
CFarrell

Post by CFarrell »

Thank you!

Ahh, well that is interested. I did try to change the java profile when I was running my application, but upon further digging (making a brand new profile) I found a different java instance running (java.exe vs javaw.exe) and changing the mouse to be in full 3d mode there fixed the problem right up!

Do you know if there is a way to send my profile (or install it for my specific application) for users who use my application so they won't have this issue? I'm mostly concerned as this is a java application and it registers as "java" in the templates section so I'm not sure it will differentiate between other java applications that I run.

Thanks again for your time! :D
jwick

Post by jwick »

There are two issues here:
1) Getting your profile to be used by the driver since there can be many javaw.exe applications running.
2) Getting your profile to the end-users.

For #1, you can try adding a qualifier to the executable information that specifies the Caption (title) that your application uses:

Code: Select all

<ExecutableName>JAVA.EXE</ExecutableName>
        <WindowCaption SubStringLocation="StartsWith">Character Model Editor</WindowCaption>
(change Character Model Editor to whatever your app says in the titlebar)

For #2), if you have an installer, you can install the file as a default file, or as a single user file. Or you can tell users to download it from your web site. Or you can post it with a discussion/description on our Profiles Exchange topic (the forum now allows you to attach files).
We do at some point intend to implement automatic downloading of profiles from a repository that you can post to. Someday...