Using 3D Connexion property dialog with WPF

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

peavish

Using 3D Connexion property dialog with WPF

Post by peavish »

I've looked through the forum and the online examples and have not seen any C#/WPF example using the SDK. Does such exist?

The 3DxMouse_WPF example does use C#/WPF and RawInput to access the SpacemousePro (in my case) and by adding a CFG file for the application (C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg\3DxMouse_WPF) and setting the ExecutableName and Transport as below, the 3D Connexion properties dialog would affect the input from the device.

Code: Select all

<AppInfo>
        <Name>3DxMouse_WPF</Name>
        <ExecutableName>3DxMouse_WPF.exe</ExecutableName>
        <Transport>RawInput</Transport>
</AppInfo>
Does this work with HID transport? My current situation is that I am reading the SpacemousePro through HID and handling everything (axis flipping, throttling) in my code. It would be nice to use the provided properties dialog instead. The application is a Windows 7 WPF app with multiple windows. It would be nice not to switch HID to RawInput, but if that is the only way...

Tim
jwick

Re: Using 3D Connexion property dialog with WPF

Post by jwick »

Should work well.

<Transport>HID</Transport>
peavish

Post by peavish »

That worked!

When using straight HID the axes values varied from -350 to 350. With the config file for my app and the 3D Connexion Properties dialog, the input varied in magnitude, but not frequency. The endpoint values seemed not to be so specific, The 'standard' range with the main speed setting at 1.0 and the axis setting also at 1.0 was -517~ to 517~. The actual value seemed to vary about -+ 5. With the main speed and axis setting at their minimums the range was -1 to to 1.

So my questions are:

1. Is there documentation about the config file contents? What they mean, how to use them, etc.? Is there documentation about the config file system in general? If a change is made in the property dialog, where is it stored?
2. I've observed a few times that even when the 3Dconnexion property dialog shows my application name, it does not seem to affect my app. The input is in the -350 to 350 range and the button mappings do not work. Stopping and starting the driver fixed the issue. Has anyone seen this issue and knows what causes it?
3. Is there a method to find out the current min/max settings? Is there a method to know when the user has changed settings via the property dialog

Thanks for any info.

Tim
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Tim,

Different devices could have different ranges. I think all the latest devices are clamped at +/-350.

There is no documentation on the Cfg files. We keep changing them. They are relatively self-explanatory though, IMO.
We ship default files for each app under ProgramFiles.
When you make a change in the GUI, your changes are saved in AppData. There is nothing different about the GUI making changes vs you making changes with notepad. The XML file is the repository. You can read the files to see what the settings are. You can setup file system notifications to see when they are changed.

Make sure you download the latest driver. We released a new drop a week ago. It may have fixed some of these things you are seeing.