Custom configuration file - XML

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

andreabardi

Custom configuration file - XML

Post by andreabardi »

Hi all,

i'm trying (with no success) to create a custom application xml configuration file in order to use some SpacePilot features in non supported applications (In this case i'm working on Sony Vegas).
even if i sarched on the forum and did some try i'm not able to make vegas "supported"..... i created a new XML file based on chrome.xml, generic joystick template .xml and so on, modifying the application executable but nothing happens.

Could someone write down a basic, simple guide to create an xml config file in order to link any executable?

Regards
Andrea
jwick

Re: Custom configuration file - XML

Post by jwick »

Sorry. There used to be a GUI that would do all this for you, but it was removed.

Your best approach is to do a little at a time.

1) Get the driver to recognize the Cfg:
1.1) Copy, say, the Chrome.xml file to MyApp.xml in the default 3DxWinCore/Cfg dir.
1.2) Change the ExecutableName to the name of your application: Vegas.exe?
1.3) Change the Name field so you have a unique name you can see in the GUI: "Sony Vegas".
1.4) Restart the driver, start your application and move the mouse cursor into one of the windows.
1.5 ) Your SpacePilot display should now say Sony Vegas, and if you hover over your 3Dx systray icon, it should name the exe and your cfg.
1.6) If not, turn on logging (systray icon) and see what is going wrong in the log file (%appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxService.log). Perhaps there is an error in your xml.

2) Now that your file is recognized, you need to decide what it should do when you move your 3D Mouse and push its buttons. There are many AxisActions and ButtonActions listed in Base.xml to choose from. You need to decide what you are going to send to this application. You can send 3D mouse events (several different kinds), joystick events or as a last resort, keyboard events. It depends on what the application accepts. 3D mouse is best but it is unlikely that the application supports it or we would be shipping a Cfg for it.

2.1) Start with ButtonActions. Assign a keyboard macro to one of your buttons, say button 1. Make sure that is being sent and read by the application.

2.2) After that copy some of the Axes from one of the templates (JoystickTemplate.xml, KeyboardTemplate.xml) and try them on the device cap.
mliebig

Post by mliebig »

Is there documentation/reference available for setting up custom configuration XMLs? I did not find anything except for this forum.
ershovdz

Post by ershovdz »

I have same question. Is there documentation/reference available for setting up custom configuration XMLs ?
I want to show Navigation mode Tab in COntrol Panel
M-Michael

Post by M-Michael »

Thanks jwick. This is good to know for beginners!
johnemartin

Post by johnemartin »

Nice to see that the OP was answered but the others posts were ignored, So now I am asking why was the GUI removed, being able to easily configure the device for any application is essential other wise it is nothing more than a very expensive paperwright

yours
a very disgruntled customer
roman.lindak

Post by roman.lindak »

is it possible to post an XML for SN? PLEASE :?
mliebig

Post by mliebig »

Referring to John's answer
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8443#p40193, why was the GUI removed? Where can one find a reference?