Wishlist for SDK

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

mew

Wishlist for SDK

Post by mew »

Hi all,

(Preface: I'm a software developer and have been a customer of your devices for well over 10 years. I just love the things and have a personal collection including 1003, 2003, 3003, 4000, orb. I've recently recommended my company purchase SpacePilot and SpaceExplorer for integration with our product)

Having said that, here's is a wishlist of features I would really like to see in your SDK...

1) platform-independence: *one* version of source code that works on any standard C/C++ development environment on standard operating systems (Windows, Linux, QNX, etc) Platform-specific interfaces (eg: COM, X Window System integration) are ok at a higher level, but the low level device protocol should be as platform-independent as possible. For example, it should be possible to use a SP on linux that isn't running X.

2) open-source: even on a single operating system (like Windows), there can be variations in binaries that necessitate rebuilding (eg: incompatibilities in VisualStudio)

3) support all device features: I really need full and flexible control of the SP LCD. If not full bitmap access, at least display of arbitrary strings on at least part of the display. I need to display system status, not just button-binding labels. It shouldn't require creating a button-config to change the display content.

4) support for all devices: I still want to be able to use legacy devices. I dont see any need to remove the old protocol support.

I am currently using the open-source Virtual Reality Peripherial Network http://vrpn.org/ which is quite capable for items 1 and 2 and legacy device support. I am in the process of integrating the current driver into VRPN so we can use the SP and SE in our product. But it should would be nice if 3Dx either took over that development responsibility, or at least made it easier for me to do it.

I'm looking fwd to today's SDK webinar.

Your comments welcome.
Thanks
-- mew
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi mew,

Thanks for the suggestions and attending the Webinar. We will keep your suggestions in mind as we further develop our software.

Also thanks for being a long time supporter. The 1003 makes a great bookend. I bet it will still work if you kept the cables.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
WIREDduns

SDK should allow to read w/o the need of a Windows env.

Post by WIREDduns »

Hi

agreed with the above.

And on top of that (or as part of it) the SDK should allow to read
devices without the need of activating either XWindows or any
Windows related loop to handle the device.

This is interesting if you would want to forward events from a device
to a different program which already runs a Windows related loop.

Regards
Mark