Application Commands

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Mac Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

nbays1975

Application Commands

Post by nbays1975 »

I am attempting to add support for the standard view buttons (Fit, Top View, Left View, etc...). I have axis and button events working but would like to add support for application commands so that the 3DxWare software can be used for mapping the buttons.

I am receiving kConnexionCmdHandleAxis and kConnexionCmdHandleButtons events but am not receiving kConnexionCmdAppSpecific events. Also, the "Application Command" mapping option in the "Buttons" tab of the 3DxWare Properties dialog is disabled. I don't see anything in the SDK documentation explaining the proper way to register the application to receive application commands. However, the "Viewer" app has this functionality and there is example code that makes use of the kConnexionCmdAppSpecific event.

I am registering the device as follows:
SetConnexionHandlers(ConnexionDeviceMessageHandler, NULL, NULL, useSeparateThread);
mClientId = RegisterConnexionClient(0, pExeName, kConnexionClientModeTakeOver, kConnexionMaskAll);

What do I need to do to get 3DxWare to allow configuration of "Application Commands" and how do I receive those events in the message handler?
crobl

Re: Application Commands

Post by crobl »

Hi nbays1975,

we've currently not explained kConnexionCmdAppSpecific in our SDK as it's still a bit circumstantial at the moment to make use of "Application Commands".
The changes that are necessary (in the development process on your side) may mess up your driver's installation if not done correctly.
Also you'll need to involve us (to add the changes regarding your application and commands to the driver) to have it added and shipped with the driver (otherwise the changes are just for you, locally and will be overwritten/deleted with each driver update).

We therefore usually hand out the information only to bigger companies, which what to have their software supported.

What application do you develop, can you give some more details please?

Regards,

Christian
nbays1975

Re: Application Commands

Post by nbays1975 »

Our application has a 3D viewer built into it. However, that is not it's primary function. We would like to add 3D Mouse support to the application to create a more seamless workflow for our users, many of whom use a 3D Mouse regularly. Our goal is to implement 3D Mouse support in a consistent manner across all our supported platforms (Windows, OSX, and Linux) and make use of the 3DxWare application for configuration of the 3D Mouse.

We have implemented 6-Axis and "Virtual 3D Mouse Commands" support on Windows. We would like to implement the same functionality on OSX.

Is it not possible to implement the equivalent of "Virtual 3D Mouse Commands" on OSX without modifying the driver?