SpaceNavigator on MIPS

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion UNIX and Linux Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

Jonas

SpaceNavigator on MIPS

Post by Jonas »

Hi!
I am currently working on a 5 axis robot for medical uses as a reserch project and would like to utilize your SpaceNavigator for navigation purposes. At the moment, the SpaceNavigator is connected to my laptop, which sends navigationdata via ethernet to the controller. Unfortunately it is very impractical to use the laptop every time and a laptop is not something you would want in an operationroom.
Therefore I would like to connect the SpaceNavigator directly to the robots controller which consists of a computer with MIPS-Architecture. The drivers in your Download-Section only supports a x86 architecture. Is it possible to reveive the drivers source? Or do I have any other chances to operate the robot using the SpaceNavigator and a MIPS-Architecture?
Thank you very much for you help.

With kind regards
Jonas
UtaSH

Re: SpaceNavigator on MIPS

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Jonas,

unfortunately we can not give out the source code.

The supported platforms and operating systems for the SpaceNavigator are:
  • Windows2000/XP/Vista
    MAC OS X
    Linux
You can find drivers on our download page.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
jwick

Post by jwick »

You may be able to access the SpaceNavigator natively via the robot O/S. It is a standard USB device. If the robot controller has USB ports, you should contact the robot manufacturer to see if you can access those ports.

Good luck. ...And send us a video if you get it working.
nuclear

Post by nuclear »

If that robot runs linux, my driver should work just fine ( http://spacenav.sourceforge.net ). But for an embedded project I'd suggest you skip running unnecessary daemons, and get input from the device directly through evdev. You may take a look at my spacenavd source code to figure out how to do that, or even adapt the code and use it. That's the beauty of free software :))