which sdk to use for spacemouse wireless & enterprise on ubuntu20.04 and debian 8?

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion UNIX and Linux Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

circlefang

which sdk to use for spacemouse wireless & enterprise on ubuntu20.04 and debian 8?

Post by circlefang »

hi there,
i have several questions,
1. there is a unix/linux sdk, but released in 2005, is it working for both spacemouse wireless & enterprise on ubuntu 20.04 and debian 8?
2.there is spacenavd and libspnavdev? am i supposed to use these to develope my customized apps?
3.there is ros-foxy project which used spacemouse wireless, but only the old ros version (ros-indigo-spacenav-node) is available, what't that for?
ngomes

Re: which sdk to use for spacemouse wireless & enterprise on ubuntu20.04 and debian 8?

Post by ngomes »

circlefang wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:57 am 1. there is a unix/linux sdk, but released in 2005, is it working for both spacemouse wireless & enterprise on ubuntu 20.04 and debian 8?
SDK support basic 3D mouse support is available regardless of device type. The support for different device types is handled by the 3DxWare driver but, as you probably noted, the driver is also showing its age.

We also have some sample code that uses libusb, bypassing the need to have the 3DxWare driver installed. If you're interested in a having look at this code, please contact the API Support team. The contact details are here (registration is required).
2.there is spacenavd and libspnavdev? am i supposed to use these to develope my customized apps?
These are not developed or maintained by 3Dconnexion.
3.there is ros-foxy project which used spacemouse wireless, but only the old ros version (ros-indigo-spacenav-node) is available, what't that for?
Likewise, "ros-foxy" is not maintained by 3Dconnexion.
circlefang

Re: which sdk to use for spacemouse wireless & enterprise on ubuntu20.04 and debian 8?

Post by circlefang »

ngomes wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 am SDK support basic 3D mouse support is available regardless of device type. The support for different device types is handled by the 3DxWare driver but, as you probably noted, the driver is also showing its age.
thanks for your responce.
first let me be clear about my requirements, access spacemouse wireless (and probably enterprise, pro in the near future) in my customized application with raw data or with your pattern, on debian8 and ubuntu20.04 (and probably other linux distributions soon).

according to your post and other posts, here is my understanding, and i am not sure if i am right?
even if 3DxWare driver is supported on linux, but it's old, and the new devices (like spacemouse enterprise) are not supported by this driver. the most important, 3DxWare SDK is not supported on linux at all. so anyway i can't go this way in my customized applications.
And your advice is use libusb with nearly raw data based on vid/pid. and if i want to know the data format, contact the guys you mentioned before.

in addition, what am i supposed to do if i want to use spacemouse kits for the 3rd softwares on linux, especially new spacemouse devices like enterprise series?

one more question, have you any idea about libspacenav.so? after i installed spacenavd, libspnav-dev, libspnav0 on ubuntu 20.04, and i still cannot find the file libspacenav.so, and i failed to run some commands because of this missing file.

thanks so much
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Using libusb means having to keep track of each individual device type. This is a lot of work, so you will want to support device that you have direct access to.
circlefang wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 pm one more question, have you any idea about libspacenav.so? after i installed spacenavd, libspnav-dev, libspnav0 on ubuntu 20.04, and i still cannot find the file libspacenav.so, and i failed to run some commands because of this missing file.
3Dconnexion does not develop that library. We suggest getting in touch with the library developers.