Any reason for dropping the Linux support?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Japi

Any reason for dropping the Linux support?

Post by Japi »

Hey,

Is there any reason why 3DConnexion has dropped support for Linux? (No new driver updates in 6 years) I would think the number of Linux users has increased, so I would think there's market for new drivers. Or is it that there's not enough developers in the 3DConnexion company? I do know that there's also community developed drivers. But unfortunately not all the features are suported there, but still good that the community is supporting the 3DConnexion devices as 3DConnexion company itself isn't. But still would be good to hear from the company itself, why the linux driver support has been discontinued. Or will there be any possibility that the driver support for Linux would be started again in the future?
Japi

Re: Any reason for dropping the Linux support?

Post by Japi »

So no response from the company?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Japi,

is there anything specific that you are missing? Did you try 3DxWareLinux 1.8.0?
Japi

Post by Japi »

UtaSH wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:19 am Hi Japi,

is there anything specific that you are missing? Did you try 3DxWareLinux 1.8.0?
Well, I'm using the SpaceMouse Enterprise, so the 1.8.0 drivers doesn't support that one (or according to your web-site)
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Japi,

yes, of course! The SME is not supported. :(
I'll forward your request to our Product management. (We are tracking this issue with our internal bug number LIN-3.)
But I have little hope that this is going to happen. :oops:
Japi

Post by Japi »

UtaSH wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:51 am Hi Japi,

yes, of course! The SME is not supported. :(
I'll forward your request to our Product management. (We are tracking this issue with our internal bug number LIN-3.)
But I have little hope that this is going to happen. :oops:
:( Well I hope at some point in the future the product management side would listen to this request
openantz

Post by openantz »

My (novice) understanding is that the 'Spacenav' project supports both the legacy devices (VID=0x042d) and the (newer) 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse family (VID = 0x256f), which includes the SpaceMouse Enterprise.

http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/

I read (elsewere on this forum) that with spacenav, you will only get access to 2 buttons on the Explorer (and i would bet they are MENU = 1 and FIT = 2). Note that the project is currently active. So, perhaps it is worth contacting the project maintainer to request full button support for the SpaceMouse Explorer, Pro, etc. (after all, it is only fair, and they do care.)
openantz

Post by openantz »

typo, the correct Logitech VID=0x046d (and not ..042d).
Paul@Canvas-Craft

Post by Paul@Canvas-Craft »

Not sure why this question keeps getting ignored .... so .... Any reason for dropping the Linux support .... I have a fairly expensive mouse here that is useless ... would it be asking too much to request either a driver update ... or an explanation?

Thanks in advance but not holding my breath ... .. .
Lord123

Post by Lord123 »

The good news is that the community has taken up the slack, and there are several third-party drivers available for 3DConnexion devices. These drivers may not support all of the features of the official drivers, but they are a good substitute and do a great job of supporting 3DConnexion devices on Linux.

At this time, it is not clear if 3DConnexion will ever resume driver development for Linux. It is possible they may decide to do so in the future, but until that happens, users will need to rely on community-developed drivers.
maschl

Post by maschl »

@lord123 do you, by chance, have any resources for mentioned drivers? I just got the CAD mouse and no support, drivers from 2014... just my old Space Navigator works. Thanks to Win 11 policies on CPU support, I will not switch back.