Ubuntu 9.04 mad scrolling

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

eyeJ

Ubuntu 9.04 mad scrolling

Post by eyeJ »

Hi I have a problem with 3dxware.

When I press a shortcut to switch between desktops to the one containing Maya 2009 menus and gui items across the screen start madly scroling. for example Alt + Left. The only way to stop it is to kill 3dxware.

Any ideas?
UtaSH

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 mad scrolling

Post by UtaSH »

Hi eyeJ,

is the shortcut mapped to one of the buttons of the device or do you just launch it with the keyboard?
Do you see any difference at the CPU?
Which driver version do you have and which device do you use?

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
eyeJ

Post by eyeJ »

Shortcut is mapped to the keyboard it happens when I do some operations in maya. For example when I press the enter key in the channel box (using the keyboard) 3dconnexion driver keeps madly pressing the enter key until i kill it.
I also experience slowdowns when I use smooth proxy and move the mouse across the screen while moving with the space pilot. If I don't move the mouse across the screen while navigating I get like 250 fps in poly proxy but when I just move the mouse across the screen and navigate I get serious viewport lag less than 1/3 fps.

Driver version is 1.4.0, Space Pilot firmware version V4.04

I checked the cpu when this enter key issue happens there is no significant change in cpu usage.

Hope this info gets you a better idea what the problem is :)
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hmm ... this is really weird.

Are you using a 3d desktop or another tool on top of the window manager? This might influence the flow of the messages of the XServer.
eyeJ

Post by eyeJ »

No I have:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

in xorg.conf so there is no extra 3d desktop effects enabled
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Can you check if the issue with the Enter key happens with another program, too? For example the xvalue that comes with the driver.

When you launch that from the command line there will be output for every keypress. When you press the enter key in the xvalue demo there should be two lines (one for pressing the key and the other for the release) like this:
  • - keysym=ff0d0 z= +0 a= +0 b= +0 c= +0
Do you get the same or more that the two lines?
eyeJ

Post by eyeJ »

I get standard two lines also the problem doesn't happen when I switch desktops with xvalue. I guess it must be a problem with maya plugin then or something related to xinput in ubuntu.

I've set the SpacePilot not to be used as xinput device recently because I tried it with the open source driver for SpaceNavigator so it might have fixed the problem for 3dxware to. I'l test it more with maya and report back my findings :)
eyeJ

It was the keyboar causing trouble

Post by eyeJ »

I think I fixed the problem but I'll have to test it some more to be absolutely sure. Seems that the last time I cleaned my keyboard I misaligned something inside and because of that keyboard was causing the trouble.

Now pressing the enter key on the letter part of the keyboard while changing values in the channel box doesn't make Maya go mad... so far so good...

I will report back when I'm sure the problem is fixed. :D