Linux and Houdini

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

ManDay

Linux and Houdini

Post by ManDay »

Hello, there are two issues I see myself confronted with:

1.) The software supplied for Linux is pretty ugly. Not just looking but it can't be ran properly or I just don't understand how to do that. Only way it works is when I run it from within a terminal and then I have that window which I can only close through ^C and not even put into tray. Is there a solution to that?

2.) The SpaceNavigator does not appear to work within Houdini and I don't know how to get it working.
ManDay

Post by ManDay »

Besides that, are the hardware interfaces to the spacenavigator open specs somewhere - in case that i will have to code a driver myself?
UtaSH

Re: Linux and Houdini

Post by UtaSH »

Hello ManDay,
ManDay wrote:Hello, there are two issues I see myself confronted with:

1.) The software supplied for Linux is pretty ugly. Not just looking but it can't be ran properly or I just don't understand how to do that. Only way it works is when I run it from within a terminal and then I have that window which I can only close through ^C and not even put into tray. Is there a solution to that?
During the installation you have the option to select the automatic start of the driver (from the /etc/inittab). Then the driver will be then available as soon as you login.
ManDay wrote:2.) The SpaceNavigator does not appear to work within Houdini and I don't know how to get it working.
No, Houdini is not one of the applications that support our device. You can see the full list here.
ManDay wrote:Besides that, are the hardware interfaces to the spacenavigator open specs somewhere - in case that i will have to code a driver myself?
The SpaceNavigator is a "HID multi-axis controller" and you can get information about USB and it's specs here.