Space Mouse for CFD on CentOS 6.10

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

antonio.soares

Space Mouse for CFD on CentOS 6.10

Post by antonio.soares »

Greetings,

I've been meaning to buy a SpaceMouse for quite some time and right now seems like it would be a good time as I'm working full-time at an Engineering consultancy firm.

I'm a CFD engineer and we work mainly with Siemens Star-CCM+. I've seen that in the options panel for Star-CCM+ there is added support for 3dconnexion devices, however it does says that it's only officially supported on Windows computers.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of using 3d connexion products on CentOS on programs such as Star-CCM+ or ANSA?

Best regards,
antonio.soares

Re: Space Mouse for CFD on CentOS 6.10

Post by antonio.soares »

So I got the SpaceMouse Wireless kit and so far we're not having much luck with the SpaceMouse (CAD Mouse works as soon as you put in the dongle with exception of the menu button).

The problem so far is that root privieligies are necessary not only to install the driver but apparently to run it as well, and only in wired mode...

I know the hardware is working properly as it runs well on my Macbook (tried it with FreeCAD and Google Earth Pro).

As for Star,it seems like they'd have to update their support to include Linux as well. There are some requests in the community portal but it doesn't seem like it's a pressing issue.

Our SysAdmin will try some new tricks later today. I'll share what he finds.
UtaSH

Re: Space Mouse for CFD on CentOS 6.10

Post by UtaSH »

Hello antonio.soares,

see here about which devices are supported on Linux and which distributions are officially supported. Neither the CadMouse Wireless nor the SpaceMouse Wireless are listed. And CentOS isn't officially supported neither. Sorry. :(

Additionally we have no information about Siemens Star-CCM+. See here a list of supported applications.

Inofficially: once the driver for Linux is installed you should be able to use the SpaceMouse Wireless when connected with the cable. And the CadMouse should work as a standard mouse, but no additional features available and no driver support.