Erratic scrolling behavior from the CadMouse

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

potato

Erratic scrolling behavior from the CadMouse

Post by potato »

Hello! I hope this meets the criteria of "Avoid duplicate posts/threads", but it does touch on the driver support question that comes up all the time.

I have the CadMouse Pro Wireless and the SpaceMouse Enterprise (not wireless). I use both plugged in to my desktop, and occasionally I connect the CadMouse wirelessly with my laptop. Both computers run Kubuntu 20.04 on the 5.4.0-81-generic Kernel. I have the spacenavd package installed on both. This barely grants basic functionality though:

The CadMouse Pro Wireless:
I really like the ergonomics of it, and I don't want to go without a separate middle-mouse-button ever again. But:
- the scroll speed randomly varies and reverses. It feels a bit like pushing a car that is stuck in snow. It rocks forward, backward, suddenly gets unstuck (occasionally in the wrong direction) only to slide into the next pit to do it all over again.
- I cannot find a way to deactivate the simulated "freewheeling". It often continues to send scroll-inputs for a second or two, which quite often messes up other windows, zoom levels, adress bars...anything that I happen to move the cursor across after scrolling through something else. I believe that the freewheeling also plays into the erratic behaviour mentioned above.
- The ring-menu looks really useful, but that also doesn't seem to exist for Linux.

I have tried reinstalling the spacenavd package. I have the wireless version of the mouse, but mostly use it plugged in to my desktop with the On/Off switch in "off". Based on some threads on Stackexchange, I've tried unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in. I have also tried only using it wirelessly. So far none of these have made a difference.

On a side-note: On a new install of Ubuntu, the mouse only works for a few seconds and then stops until it is plugged out and back in. This is only fixed after installing the spacenavd package. I have never had another USB or wireless mouse that needed a third-party driver to move the cursor. Let alone an expensive, premium, "pro" model.

The SpaceMouse Enterprise:
I have managed get SOME 3D controls out of the knob at one point, but it wasn't configured right and apparently not configurable. I have never managed to get anything out of any other button, and nothing ever to show on the display other than the 3Dconnexion logo. It has so much potential, I would love to be able to use it as a macro keyboard and status display even outside of 3D software and maybe even as a controller for certain games. But so far it hasn't even worked properly in CAD.

I have found the suggestion in this forum to try actkbd or qjoypad, which I will, although I would really expect an expensive device to come with original drivers.

Are there any comprehensive fixes for either of these devices? Will there ever be original drivers for Linux? I want to recommend these devices for their potential and ergonomics, but I'm honestly just disappointed by the near total lack of driver support.
markspil

Re: Erratic scrolling behavior from the CadMouse

Post by markspil »

Great thanks for this information. I have the same case.
potato

Post by potato »

Alternatively, I am open to suggestions for a mouse with similar ergonomics as the CadMouse Pro, most importantly a separate middle mouse button! I'm also considering to make my own from an ordinary mouse and some 3D printing, but I would like to avoid that hassle.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

My problem with Linux and input devices is that I have never seen a hardware
with a driver suite, that allows to save difference setups per App.
Like being standard on Mac or Win for 3DConnexion, Logitech, ...
Basically for any main input device manufacturer - beside some smaller exotic
manufacturers (like my MadCatz mouse)

Also, so far I was never able to successfully activate any 3DConnexion 3D device
(classic Space Navigator orSM Enterprise), nor my Wacom Cintiq.
Cintiq worked on only a few of my distros installations in a basic way, but I could
not deactivate the touch option. Which made Pen Input totally unreliable.

So I think Input Device manufacturers support on Linux is very sad in general.
And I think it is said that not even a single manufactorer offers at least a standard
Mouse, with 2 extra buttons, which are configurable on per App.
ruko42

Post by ruko42 »

...the scroll speed randomly varies and reverses. It feels a bit like pushing a car that is stuck in snow. It rocks forward, backward, suddenly gets unstuck (occasionally in the wrong direction) only to slide into the next pit to do it all over again.
This is NOT a Linux specific behavior!

I have 2 CadMouse Compact Whireless. One at Linux, the other at Win10. Both show this reported strange wheel scrolling ...
tervobe

Post by tervobe »

I am wondering if there has been any fix suggestions for this. I have the latest driver 64bit and am using Windows. I have the same random scrolling.
Viktorik88

Post by Viktorik88 »

Hi, I have the CadMouse Pro wireless...

A week ago it started to scroll unpredictably and I tried conecting, disconecting unplugging the space mouse and so on...

In my case the fix was simple...

turn off the mouse just fo safety probably... hold the mouse firmly in 1 hand with the other scroll with 1 finger super fast and powerfull so that the scroll rolls for 1s-2s on its own... do it both ways... 3-4 times was enough.

I hope this solves your issues.
Viktorik88

Post by Viktorik88 »

I turned off the mouse, :!: pushed/rolled the scroll hard an powerfully so that it rolls for 1-2s alone... :!: 3-4 times both ways... It worked for me. No more unpredictable scrolling.
Rob65

Post by Rob65 »

The freewheeling is back again (on my Windows 10 system) ... It used to be okay for some time but I suddenly have this freewheeling thing where the mouse keeps scrolling for a few seconds.
On some long webpages, while scrolling it suddenly keeps scrolling when I stop moving the scroll wheel. If I move the mouse to another window it them keeps scrolling in that window.
Very annoying especially when I scroll to the end of a page and then move the mouse to another window, seeing that the text in that window suddenly scrolls. I need to wait for a bit longer than 1 second before moving the mouse to another window before this is not the case.

This happened before and at that time I did find a solution for this somewhere but now it's back again.

Meanwhile found the solution for this freewheeling "bug".
In 3Dconnection Settings, under "advanced settings" there is a "smart scrolling" feature that needs to be disabled. When enabled, fast scrolling may result in freewheeling but sometimes this also happens when I do not (at least I don't think it is fast) scroll fast.
I am sure that I had this settings switched off but somehow it got switched on again. Why ? No idea, I did not install a new driver and have the current 3DxWare version 10.8.12.3545 that was installed on March 21st (5 month ago)
maschl

Post by maschl »

Viktorik88 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:40 am turn off the mouse just fo safety probably... hold the mouse firmly in 1 hand with the other scroll with 1 finger super fast and powerfull so that the scroll rolls for 1s-2s on its own... do it both ways... 3-4 times was enough.
Worked for me as well. I guess that's one of the quirks we have to live with... I didnt even know "freewheeling" was possible, I once had a Logitech mouse you literaly had to "unhinge" by clicking the wheel. That was actually a great funtionality imo, but of course the lifespan was predictably low
henryeah

Post by henryeah »

you are genius man! it fix my problem right away.
Viktorik88 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:40 am
turn off the mouse just fo safety probably... hold the mouse firmly in 1 hand with the other scroll with 1 finger super fast and powerfull so that the scroll rolls for 1s-2s on its own... do it both ways... 3-4 times was enough.

I hope this solves your issues.
Caisar

Post by Caisar »

Just minutes to about to buy another mouse, i just accepted my scrollwheel is broken for pass month while using other device to scroll. But i really like cad mouse ergonomic and cannot accept it i buy another one it will have the same problem within a year. Many reviews with similar situation.

Try your solution with big sceptism, but it really works!! Thanks mate. In my case to notice the difference is the scroll wheel make another high pitch noise when its working. I do it maya 10-15 time back and forth until noticing the sound it make now different. And it really works. Huge thanks
GeorgePralt

Re: But I dont want to use C...

Post by GeorgePralt »

Is it possible to develop software without using the C programming language? I'm curious to explore alternative options and frameworks that can offer unique advantages and cater to different coding preferences. Share your experiences and thoughts on non-C programming languages for software development.
ограничители перенапряжения опн https://energy-21.ru/katalog/opn/category/ogranichiteli-perenapryazheniya-dlya-elektricheskih-setej-napryazheniem-10-kv опн 6кв