Trying to use in Linux Mint

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

3D User

Trying to use in Linux Mint

Post by 3D User »

I have a SpaceMouse Compact, for which I installed the drivers for Linux on Mint 20 (which didn't give me any error so I assume it must have been successful), and tried to run a couple of programs that are included with it to test it, but nothing happened. I don't have a profiler or calibration tool in Linux that will recognize it (it sees my XBox controller but that's all) so I'm not sure how else to test it, and I'm not sure how DirectInput is even emulated in Linux (at least that's what it uses in Windows, anyway).

The blue light shining from inside of it is on when I'm in Linux though, so I know that it's connected properly. And when Linux is booting and printing a bunch of text, I see a line that mentions the 3Dconnexion device, so I know that it's recognizing it. Actually, that line shows up even when I boot Linux Mint from a different partition, on which I have never installed the driver for the device, so it seems to automatically recognize it anyway, but I just have no way of testing it.

Also, where exactly is it installed with all of its subdirectories? In Windows there's a directory containing .xml files, which I can copy and modify to emulate DirectInput for games and such, but I'm not sure where such a thing is located in Linux, or whether it works differently, or even has anything to do with DirectInput at all (I know that's a Microsoft thing, but it seems like Linux must have an emulated equivalent, because it does recognize controllers).