Linux driver last update in 2014?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Cuissedemouche

Linux driver last update in 2014?

Post by Cuissedemouche »

Hello,

I considering to maybe buy a Spacemouse Pro since the Spacemouse Compact I just bought is not compatible...
But I just checked the drivers, and there are no updates since the 26th of June 2014.

What does that mean for compatibility software?

I can see for example people complaining that update of their software break their spacemouse, and that they needed to wait for a new update of the driver to make it work.

So that would mean that every software/updates released after 2014 are not compatible?
In my case I'm a Maya user, so that would mean that Maya 2015 would be the last version compatible?

Thanks if anyone can answer to that.
yoruneko

Re: Linux driver last update in 2014?

Post by yoruneko »

I bought one in 2014 for Maya on Linux. Already I had problems with erratic behavior after installing the drivers.
I got ZERO reply to any of my support requests. And as can see on this forum Linux questions have zero answers.
I ended up reselling it. They have zero intention to support Linux users. Un-f*cking-believable.
Stay away if you plan using it in Linux imho.
three5

Post by three5 »

Yeah, I'm moving all of my 3d work over to Linux and was shocked to see an 8 year old driver.

One would think that a professional 3d tool would work with the tools that professional 3d creators use, but I guess that Prosumer is good enough for 3Dconnexion.
bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I wonder how hard it would be to support this device. I looked at it a few years back and decided that it would take me a fair bit of time to upgrade my Linux driver hacking skills and figure it out. Took some USB traces from the Windows side using Wireshark followed by some user space development with one of the libusb versions. I would actually be after more than minimal functionality. The spacenav driver provides that. Should be able to test the whole device interaction in user space before moving to kernel development. What about putting graphics on the screen? It's a challenge that I would not mind pursuing. If this one particular guy can incorporate support for 100+ USB cameras, how hard can it be?

But certainly, this company has no interest in the Linux community. If we could get good documentation from them, at least I would not call them Linux hostile. Maybe some guys are interested in doing our due diligence to understand the device at a rather deep level then start asking questions at the dev/sdk level. Might be that they are just a small company with limited resource, unlike the big NVidia. But even NVidia came around with time.