macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

slbaumgartner wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:23 am Is this small but steady growth expected? Why?
I wouldn't expect it. In all likelihood, we still have a leak somewhere.
garybart

Post by garybart »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:23 am
argiemza wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:07 am The extension is not showing up in the "Security & Privacy" panel in System Preferences to find an "Allow" button in the "General" tab
At this point, our only suggestions is as described for user "garybart" (see here). We don't know why the system does not show the "Allow" button as required.
I would recommend revisiting this firmware and run more tests
This isn't an issue with the hardware (firmware) but with how the system is configured. We believe some systems are blocking the "allow" requests but we do not know why.
Ok, so problem solved. My IT guy is waiting for moderator approval to post his comments, but Jamf permissions enabled the install to take place. So we are through that part. The bad news is the keyboard modifier keys still do not work. Correct me if I am wrong, but the idea here is, in Fusion 360 as an example, if Button Click 3 on let's say the middle button, by default rotates the view, if I hold the Command key, the view Pans, if I set the Modifier Kys to Command in the System Prefs for your driver, the new should pan without me having to touch my keyboard.

If that is in fact correct, and I am sorry to be so remedial, then it is still not working. Here is a screen shot...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 5.59.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 5.59.05 PM.png (123.54 KiB) Viewed 22604 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

garybart wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:01 pm The bad news is the keyboard modifier keys still do not work. Correct me if I am wrong, but the idea here is, in Fusion 360 as an example, if Button Click 3 on let's say the middle button, by default rotates the view, if I hold the Command key, the view Pans, if I set the Modifier Kys to Command in the System Prefs for your driver, the new should pan without me having to touch my keyboard.
This is an issue we need to resolve. When you assign the middle button to "Click 3", the driver will reconfigure the device to have the physical button behave as a real button 3. In doing so, the modifier is ignored. We need to modify the assignment so that the button then behaves as a SpaceMouse button (where the "Click 3" with the modifier works as expected).

We need to have at least one additional beta build (to remove the "Accessibility" permission requirement from the "helper" program). This is a related to the issue you're reporting and we aim to resolve it at that point.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

garybart wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:01 pm My IT guy is waiting for moderator approval to post his comments,
We can't find any pending request.

Could you please check if your colleague has posted anything on this Forum?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Following Google's announcement of the availability of Google Earth version 7.3.4, we can confirm the update addresses the limitations with 3D mouse use on macOS 11, closing the MAC-264 issue. The release notes for Google Earth are available here.

A word of appreciation to the Google Earth team: the engineering team at 3Dconnexion would like to thank you for collaborating to resolve this issue. No separate team would have been able to resolve this problem on its own since it required changes to both Google Earth and driver.

Cheers, GE!
md3d

Post by md3d »

I installed the latest BETA driver (Version 10.7.0 r3356 – Beta 19). It fixed some things and disabled others. Now all the modifier keys on the left work (They did NOT before) But the 3D Mouse and all camera keys on the right do not work (they DID Before).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

md3d wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:03 am the 3D Mouse and all camera keys on the right do not work
Can you give us a more specific scenario, like what application are you using and what is assigned to the 3D mouse button you're trying to use? We don't know what 3D mouse model is being referred to here or what is meant by "camera keys".
popevideo

Post by popevideo »

I'm using the SpaceMouse Wireless and new beta driver 10.7.0 (3356). In the preferences its saying the firmware version is 0.00. Is this correct?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.20.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.20.19 PM.png (157.77 KiB) Viewed 22457 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

popevideo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:21 pm In the preferences its saying the firmware version is 0.00. Is this correct?
This is the expected behaviour if the device is connected wirelessly (the firmware version isn't available over the Universal Receiver). It's clearly not correct, though, as we should be hiding the text to avoid confusion.

If you wish to check the firmware version of a wireless device, connect it with a cable.
michaelprichard

Post by michaelprichard »

I just noticed this update, installed and ended up have exactly the same symptoms as garybart (M1 MBP, Big Sur 11.5.1, Space Navigator FW 3.17), but the last posted fix of manually closing the Helper and relaunching with the -install flag worked perfectly and the Allow button finally showed up. All appears to work well with the exception of the LEDs. I have no urgent need of them, but I found it odd that they are just disabled and don't respond to the "LED Enable" checkbox in Tools. I believe they flicker briefly during boot, but otherwise they're just off. Figured that might be symbolic of some other potential communication issue.

Thanks for the response and manual work around. I was very sad for a few tense minutes...

-Mike Prichard
K1LLD0Z3R04

Post by K1LLD0Z3R04 »

will the modifier keys ever work stand alone in Blender? Like shift, cmd and so on...
Its so sad having the 3D mouse and always use the keyboard.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

michaelprichard wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:41 pm the last posted fix of manually closing the Helper and relaunching with the -install flag worked perfectly and the Allow button finally showed up.
This isn't expected. In your case, the manually-closed helper had been started by the installer and ran with the "-install" option in the first place.

Do you recall any other details of the installation? Like what warnings came up?
michaelprichard

Post by michaelprichard »

No warnings; System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General always popped up unpopulated, so no "Allow" button. Tried several reboots, disabling LittleSnitch and checking which drivers were loaded using "ls -l /Library/DriverExtensions", but com.3dconnexion.dext.dext didn't show up. But your fix of manually disabling the Helper solved it right away. Let me know if there are any other items you'd like me to check. I do have Parallels installed and the output of the above command now yields:

mike@Grinch ~ % ls -l /Library/DriverExtensions
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 88 Aug 5 15:56 com.3dconnexion.dext.dext -> /Library/SystemExtensions/691593EF-8846-4F00-8AD4-7D624F8AC20A/com.3dconnexion.dext.dext
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 85 Jun 15 03:05 com.ftdi.vcp.dext.dext -> /Library/SystemExtensions/C4901318-E126-415E-9886-6B5D2D250EA9/com.ftdi.vcp.dext.dext
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 107 Mar 8 17:02 com.phidgets.driver.PhidgetUSBHIDDriver.dext -> /Library/SystemExtensions/ECF37811-2230-4E34-844F-BF3C0EC3553E/com.phidgets.driver.PhidgetUSBHIDDriver.dext

just in case you think one of the other extensions could be interfering.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

michaelprichard wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:54 am Let me know if there are any other items you'd like me to check.
Thank you, michaelprichard. We will take up on your offer if need be. Currently, we cannot fathom why the "allow" did not come up immediately after the installation.
alanfleming

Post by alanfleming »

ngomes wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:21 am
michaelprichard wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:54 am Let me know if there are any other items you'd like me to check.
Thank you, michaelprichard. We will take up on your offer if need be. Currently, we cannot fathom why the "allow" did not come up immediately after the installation.
I had this too, the first time I installed the current beta. I didn't think anything of it at the time: I just installed (over the top) and the prompt came up the second time.