macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
ngomes
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:07 am

bimawa wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:53 am
I connected with the developer we try to find whats is wrong.
Here screenshot we try get gamepad id from plugins:
Image
3Dconnexion does not manufacture any gamepad devices. It seems that the issue you're looking at falls outside of the scope of this discussion (beta driver for macOS 11 and newer).

As mentioned before, if developers have issues using 3Dconnexion's APIs, they can get in touch with our API Support Service. The contacts are available on the 3Dconnexion web site.

bimawa
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:46 am

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by bimawa » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 am

ngomes wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:07 am
bimawa wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:53 am
I connected with the developer we try to find whats is wrong.
Here screenshot we try get gamepad id from plugins:
Image
3Dconnexion does not manufacture any gamepad devices. It seems that the issue you're looking at falls outside of the scope of this discussion (beta driver for macOS 11 and newer).

As mentioned before, if developers have issues using 3Dconnexion's APIs, they can get in touch with our API Support Service. The contacts are available on the 3Dconnexion web site.
Ah ok I understand ty!

3dhead
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:47 am

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by 3dhead » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 am

Hi, I noticed that in the past versions of macOS and all versions of Windows, 3Dconnexion devices are always listed as gamepads in the browser API. A lot of tools are depending on this behavior to function correctly. For instance, this library:

https://github.com/archilogic-com/afram ... r-controls

It appears that macOS 11 beta driver has changed this behavior as it hides the device from the gamepad list. Could you please make the device continue appearing as gamepads in the browser gamepads API? We are not requesting a new feature, but rather, hoping the existing behavior won't be broken in the future. Thanks!

Reference:
https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... pad#p80764

ngomes
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 am

3dhead wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 am
It appears that macOS 11 beta driver has changed this behavior as it hides the device from the gamepad list.
Our driver does not hide the device from the gamepad list. What our driver has to do in macOS 11 is to get an "exclusive" grab of the device. If the driver does not "grab" the device, then the system uses the 3D mouse data to control the mouse pointer.

This isn't an issue in macOS 10.15 and older as we have a kernel extension to stop the system using the 3D mouse data to interfere with the mouse pointer. MacOS 11 removed support for kernel extensions.

We can look into this once the system's odd behaviour is corrected.

marcarch
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:41 am

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by marcarch » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:17 am

ngomes wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:51 am
marcarch wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:31 am
Italian
The issue is confirmed and we're tracking with reference MAC-315. We expect to have it fixed in the next beta update (days away).

Thank you for reporting this, marcarch. It was a subtle but important bug in our virtual keyboard code.
News on the next beta?

ngomes
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:23 am

marcarch wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:17 am
News on the next beta?
In the works. It failed internal testing and we're delayed.

3dhead
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:47 am

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by 3dhead » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:03 pm

ngomes wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 am
3dhead wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 am
It appears that macOS 11 beta driver has changed this behavior as it hides the device from the gamepad list.
Our driver does not hide the device from the gamepad list. What our driver has to do in macOS 11 is to get an "exclusive" grab of the device. If the driver does not "grab" the device, then the system uses the 3D mouse data to control the mouse pointer.

This isn't an issue in macOS 10.15 and older as we have a kernel extension to stop the system using the 3D mouse data to interfere with the mouse pointer. MacOS 11 removed support for kernel extensions.

We can look into this once the system's odd behaviour is corrected.
Thanks a bunch for clarifying the underlying issues. Do you know if it was a permanent decision to stop supporting kernel extension, or we can expect that to be addressed by Apple in a future update? I know it's beyond the scope of the 3Dconnexion team. Just curious if you folks have a way to track issues like this. Thank you again.

ngomes
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:01 am

3dhead wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:03 pm
Do you know if it was a permanent decision to stop supporting kernel extension, or we can expect that to be addressed by Apple in a future update?
That's permanent, yes. Apple announced the transition to DriverKit system extensions at WWDC 2019.

We had a number of issues before we could transition to a DriverKit extension for basic keyboard emulation (only the last beta included it) and we're still in beta almost one year since macOS 11 was released.

It may be possible to deploy a system extension to block the system from moving the mouse pointer but this isn't something we can look into now. We're severely delayed as it is.

davantbar
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by davantbar » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 am

Delighted that the beta driver 3356 has enabled me to use the modifier keys on my spacemouse pro, seems to be working okay so far. However, i've noticed that even though i have preferences set to disable the LED on the device the light is still on. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver to no avail. Any advice on disabling this bright blue light?

ngomes
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:50 am

davantbar wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 am
However, i've noticed that even though i have preferences set to disable the LED on the device the light is still on. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver to no avail. Any advice on disabling this bright blue light?
It's an known issue, a bug introduced in the last beta. We're tracking it with reference MAC-308. A fix will be included in the next week (which was set to released last week).

davantbar
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by davantbar » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:24 am

ngomes wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:50 am
davantbar wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 am
However, i've noticed that even though i have preferences set to disable the LED on the device the light is still on. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver to no avail. Any advice on disabling this bright blue light?
It's an known issue, a bug introduced in the last beta. We're tracking it with reference MAC-308. A fix will be included in the next week (which was set to released last week).
Thanks. Hopefully this will be quite soon now? The blue light is doing me no good, I've had to unplug the device altogether.

ngomes
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:20 am

davantbar wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:24 am
Thanks. Hopefully this will be quite soon now? The blue light is doing me no good, I've had to unplug the device altogether.
We're two weeks late from our original plan for the next beta.

We're sorry for the delay but until the issue that failed testing is resolved, we can't ship it.

popevideo
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by popevideo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:28 pm

l'm having issues with Blender using Spacemouse Enterprise. I was able to map buttons in blender's Keymap preferences using NDOF option to any of the buttons on the Spacemouse Enterprise. Now blender doesn't recognize when I try to map any of the buttons. Modifier keys do work on it.

I've tried mapping the two buttons on the Spacemouse Wireless in blender and it works as expected.

Using latest driver (10.7.0 r3356 - Beta 19)

ngomes
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 am

popevideo wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:28 pm
l'm having issues with Blender using Spacemouse Enterprise. I was able to map buttons in blender's Keymap preferences using NDOF option to any of the buttons on the Spacemouse Enterprise. Now blender doesn't recognize when I try to map any of the buttons. Modifier keys do work on it.

I've tried mapping the two buttons on the Spacemouse Wireless in blender and it works as expected.

Using latest driver (10.7.0 r3356 - Beta 19)
So, we replied to you here but it looks like the issue with Blender was never resolved for you.

popevideo
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by popevideo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:58 am

ngomes wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:53 am
popevideo wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:28 pm
l'm having issues with Blender using Spacemouse Enterprise. I was able to map buttons in blender's Keymap preferences using NDOF option to any of the buttons on the Spacemouse Enterprise. Now blender doesn't recognize when I try to map any of the buttons. Modifier keys do work on it.

I've tried mapping the two buttons on the Spacemouse Wireless in blender and it works as expected.

Using latest driver (10.7.0 r3356 - Beta 19)
So, we replied to you here but it looks like the issue with Blender was never resolved for you.
Yes sorry, I switched from the Enterprise to the Spacemouse wireless, but have now switched back to the Enterprise as the more buttons offer more speed.

Post Reply