macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

marcarch

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:47 am What model of CadMouse do you have? If you have a wireless device, does it matter if it is connected over Bluetooth or by a cable?
Bingo! It works connected by cable, doesn't via Bluetooth.
I have a CADmouse Wireless, firmware 1.11
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:53 am Bingo! It works connected by cable, doesn't via Bluetooth.
Confirmed. We can also see this.
davantbar

Post by davantbar »

beta 3386 fixes the ability to disable the bright blue LED on my spacemouse pro, but zbrush has crashed thunderously 3 times tonight and a brief glance at one of the crash reports (that presumably gets sent to Apple) i notice that 3dx gets a mention. :cry:
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:56 am
marcarch wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:53 am Bingo! It works connected by cable, doesn't via Bluetooth.
Confirmed. We can also see this.
Also, why is mouse speed so different when I switch between cable and bluetooth? Even with the same speed settings parameters?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:12 am Also, why is mouse speed so different when I switch between cable and bluetooth? Even with the same speed settings parameters?
We don't know. Perhaps the system is blocking the communication between the driver and the device.

Can you control the speed by moving the slider?
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:25 am Can you control the speed by moving the slider?
Yes sure, and it works.
But with the same speed settings in macOS Mouse PrefPane and 3Dx PrefPane, mouse speed is different between cable and bluetooth, it's stressing when you get used to a certain speed, change mouse connection and (again, with same software parameters) speed changes...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:38 am Yes sure, and it works.
[..], change mouse connection and (again, with same software parameters) speed changes...
Understood. In that case, what you are seeing is likely to be the difference between data rates. If I'm not mistaken, Bluetooth sends packets at around 100Hz and the cable connection can go up to 1kHz, a factor of ten larger. This faster data rate can be perceived as a difference in "speed" (how sensitive the device is).

If possible, could you explain the use case behind you regularly switching between a cable and wireless connection?

One of our assumptions (or, at least, my own) is that users of a wireless CadMouse will use the cable connection only when Bluetooth is disabled or otherwise unavailable. For normal, day-to-day usage, we expect customers to use the device wirelessly.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:19 am
marcarch wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:38 am Yes sure, and it works.
[..], change mouse connection and (again, with same software parameters) speed changes...
Understood. In that case, what you are seeing is likely to be the difference between data rates. If I'm not mistaken, Bluetooth sends packets at around 100Hz and the cable connection can go up to 1kHz, a factor of ten larger. This faster data rate can be perceived as a difference in "speed" (how sensitive the device is).

If possible, could you explain the use case behind you regularly switching between a cable and wireless connection?

One of our assumptions (or, at least, my own) is that users of a wireless CadMouse will use the cable connection only when Bluetooth is disabled or otherwise unavailable. For normal, day-to-day usage, we expect customers to use the device wirelessly.
You're right. I'm using cable only since yesterday in order to prevent that Edge issue with middle button.
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

Using the latest 3386 beta driver, after a brief period of normal operation SketchUp ceases to respond to the Space Mouse. Everything else about SketchUp still works normally, e.g. regular mouse and keyboard input, but the 3DC is dead. SketchUp also spins on quit and has to be force quit.

Neither of these happened with the previous beta driver.
davantbar

Post by davantbar »

slbaumgartner wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:00 am Using the latest 3386 beta driver, after a brief period of normal operation SketchUp ceases to respond to the Space Mouse. Everything else about SketchUp still works normally, e.g. regular mouse and keyboard input, but the 3DC is dead. SketchUp also spins on quit and has to be force quit.

Neither of these happened with the previous beta driver.
I'm having similar issues with Zbrush using this beta and already Monterey is out. :roll:
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

zoomer wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 am However,
Enterprise and old SpaceNav work well.

It is just my original USB CADMouse neither using Macros or Keystrokes
nor recognizing the active App.

Looks like the original CADMouse USB explicitly needs :
Settings > Privacy > Automation > 3Dconnexionhelper.app
the Activation to control Apples "Music.app"

While original Spacenavigator and Enterprise can work without my playlists :shock:

WT.......
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

Unfortunately upgrading to macOS Monterey 12.0.1 brought back viewport glitching in Maya 2022.2, when set to Viewport 2.0. It doens't glitch when it is set to Arnold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq_Sur34UcI
It's time to roll the dice...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:40 am Looks like the original CADMouse USB explicitly needs :
Settings > Privacy > Automation > 3Dconnexionhelper.app
the Activation to control Apples "Music.app"
Perhaps you have assigned a button action that controls this app?
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

After a very long AutoCAD session I have to report that CADMouse Wireless occasionally loses middle button control an in ACAD) for a while over Bluetooth. This last for few instants after that it performs the middle button command.
Plugging the usb cable and unplugging solves the issue until happens (again, occasionally) again.

Seems like the same Edge issue but less lasting.
Really can't tell you the steps to reproduce it, happens occasionally while using AutoCAD.
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

Also, for Maya, the viewports not responding to the SpaceMouse movements issue is still there, and not just during an Auto Save action, I have noticed it happening at random intervals when it wasn't saving.
Restarting Maya still "fixes" it, but simply waiting it out also works. After a few minutes (I haven't found a set interval) it just starts working again. So in situations where precision movements are not necessary I can get away with standard mouse drag movements, until Maya responds to the SpaceMouse again. In an interval such as this other software responds to the SpaceMouse just fine.
It's time to roll the dice...