The state of Mac OS support

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

jrychter

The state of Mac OS support

Post by jrychter »

So, while I'm reinstalling the 3dConnexion drivers because they stopped working on my MacOS Monterey machines, I can't help but notice how 3dConnexion neglects the Mac OS world.

The official download page shows drivers for Mac OS Catalina, a system that was released in 2019. Big Sur drivers are "BETA". BETA? Big Sur is a *previous* generation of Mac OS. Seriously? "We do not recommend using it in a production environment where data loss cannot be tolerated"?

If you buy a Mac today, it will come with Mac OS Monterey installed. Should all your users who recently bought a Mac tolerate data loss? How do I get a "production environment" with a system two generations old?

I mean, even looking at the dates on the drivers shows the sad state of things: Windows pretty much current, macOS nearly a year older, Linux with its hopelessly forgotten 7-year old package.

Come on, 3dConnexion, you can do better. Either support MacOS properly, or announce and withdraw the support, if you really consider the user base insignificant, but the current neglect is disrespectful to your Mac customers.
MickHealey

Re: The state of Mac OS support

Post by MickHealey »

jrychter, I totally agree with everything you have said.

This was my frustration in my earlier post https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... 135#p83278
There is quite clearly a bug in Beta build 3386 (verified by another user), that wasn't present in an earlier build. I'm currently using Sketchup on a virtual Windows 10 machine, to work around this, until 3DConnexion fix the issue (if they do).

The 3DConnexion shop on Amazon says compatible operating systems are: Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Windows 8.1, Microsoft Windows 7 macOS 10.10 or greater. There is no mention of Beta builds or potential incompatibility with some Mac hardware configuration (e.g. processor).

I have macOS 11.6 (Big Sur) on an iMac 27 with Intel i5 processor. I cannot use Sketchup for more than about 5 minutes, before the 3DConnexion driver hangs.

As for your comment about 3DConnexion being disrespectful to their Mac customers - you are spot on in my opinion.
luping

Post by luping »

My observation is that the driver developer human resources are overstretched to support two major desktop personal computer operating systems(Windows, MacOS), for the time being, stay with macOS Catalina if you can. Or switch to Windows OS to get the most complete driver support. The starting price for any Apple Mac PC is never a cheap choice.
jrychter

Post by jrychter »

Well, switching to Windows or using old MacOS versions is not an option for many of us. Not to even mention the fact that the current generation of ARM-based Macs are the fastest laptop machines you can buy, period, and come with an impressive battery life. But they only run the latest version of the OS.

The reason why I wrote (in frustration) is because 3dConnexion seems to be pretending to support MacOS — just to get the sales. If the "developer human resources" are really overstretched, then just drop Mac OS support, announce it loud and clear, and bear the cost of losing those MacOS sales. But if Mac users are significant (which I daresay they are), then treat them as first-class citizens.
jrychter

Post by jrychter »

Well, switching to Windows or using old MacOS versions is not an option for many of us. Not to even mention the fact that the current generation of ARM-based Macs are the fastest laptop machines you can buy, period, and come with an impressive battery life. But they only run the latest version of the OS.

The reason why I wrote (in frustration) is because 3dConnexion seems to be pretending to support MacOS — just to get the sales. If the "developer human resources" are really overstretched, then just drop Mac OS support, announce it loud and clear, and bear the cost of losing those MacOS sales. But if Mac users are significant (which I daresay they are), then treat them as first-class citizens.