Cinema 4D support on Mac... ever?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

PresNevins

Post by PresNevins »

I'd love to lock the Y axis like we're used to in C4D. This is kinda like it used to be modeling in LightWave. :wink: But I figure I'll get my sea legs first, then by the time the upgrade officially arrives I'll know more what I really want, then I can file a a coherent enhancement request via Maxon's support page.

I'm also beginning to mess around with using the System Preferences pane to customize the direction of the individual axes. That seems to have promise. Except I don't know what feels right yet, so every time I change anything I get even more confused!
dwerf

Post by dwerf »

I was thinking, perhaps having all the axes moving, makes animation by nature a little more organic, less rigid. I sometimes find myself not banking a camera in Cinema because I need to go to its parameters to do so. I remember working in Lightwave was less exact, but also a bit more loose. Now when I think of it, I think having 'loose' axes is perhaps better in some ways. Probably depends on what you want to do though.

Despite seeing the advantages of the way it's working right now it could still use a tight turntable option ... oh well, there's a cool C4D updater built-in, so perhaps later. Let's just be very happy they took our 3D-controllers so serious.

Thank you Maxon!
PresNevins

Post by PresNevins »

That's true. I'll probably stop worrying about the unlocked Y axis once I gain enough skill to stop finding the world turned upside-down after particularly unsuccessful navigation attempts... :D
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Perhaps you are interested in the following webpage: Navigate on Mac with 3Dconnexion and Cinema 4D R11.
Robert Stadie
janosch1234

Post by janosch1234 »

Hi,

1. Any clues why this is not working for me with R11 Demo & the spacepilot?
Under Windows it works perfect like ever.
Google Earth & Sketchup work fine with SPacePilot under OS x too , so i think it is not a general Hardware problem.

2. Btw. i would pay for a space pilot button support under OS X
(even if i still believe that an actual product what cost a multiple price of the space navigator should get this for free.)
Please dont let the support for this controller die....

(I will mail Maxon too rgearding the first part of the message)

Regards
PresNevins

Post by PresNevins »

One thing that I had to stumble upon is that in the C4D layout you must have the 3D Mouse dialog open somewhere for the Space Navigator to be recognized (perhaps docked behind some other tab). Once it's open then things work. Could that be what you're running up against?

A major problem with that design is that if you temporarily switch your viewport to full screen with ctrl-tab, the 3D mouse suddenly stops working because now its dialog is missing...
janosch1234

Post by janosch1234 »

Hi,

thanks for answering.

Thats not it,
i dock the dialogue always into the layout as a tab. And under Windows R10.0/10.5/Demo11 it works without problems.

Regards
PresNevins

Post by PresNevins »

Actually, with the new version of the demo (the one where you can save for 42 days), my Space Navigator has suddenly stopped working too. It was working fine in the Siggraph (non-saving) version of the demo, but the moment I let the onboard updater grab the new version for me today, it stopped responding. Like you, it works fine in other apps. Hmm.

Which version of the demo are you using?

BTW I filed a bug report with Maxon at the standard URL:
http://www.maxon.net/pages/support/suggestion_e.html. Feel free to add more![/url]
janosch1234

Post by janosch1234 »

Hi,

i am using the newest savable version.
Ok when you tell me that it worked ok, then i think they maybe mixed up in the latest build.
I will contact the maxon support about it too.

Regards

Jan
janosch1234

Post by janosch1234 »

A developer has responded in a c4d forum.
Its a bug and the spacemouse-function will work again in the R11 release when it ships.

Cheers
PresNevins

Post by PresNevins »

Cool, good to hear! In the meantime, I've rolled back to the Cinema 4D Siggraph demo and have my SpaceNavigator working again. It's very difficult to go back to the 1, 2, 3 keys for navigation once I've felt this freedom!

And FWIW I've found that I feel most comfortable navigating when I set all the axes at their defaults, set C4D to Fly mode, and then in the OS X preference pane -> 3Dconnexion -> Device tab -> Zoom Direction, set it to the unnamed second option with the blue arrow going in and out. Once I did that I no longer had to futz with trying to invert individual axes, as everything more or less felt right.

Now it's September, so let's hope the official release shows up soon! :)
eivindv

SpaceNavigator with Cinema 4D R10

Post by eivindv »

Any chance of seeing the SpaceNavigator working Cinema 4D R10 on the Mac any time soon?

Seems it is now compatible with R11, but it would be a shame if you left us R10 users in the backwaters.
gotommy

Space Navigator doesn't work at all in Cinema 4D R11

Post by gotommy »

I just downloaded and unlocked the demo of Cinema 4D, and my Space Navigator doesn't work at all...I can bring up the 3D Mouse panel, toggle the settings, etc - but the app is totally unresponsive to any input from the device. It works fine in other apps, like Google Earth...but it's completely useless in Cinema 4D.

Any advice?
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

You can enable 3D mice in Cinema 4DR11 as follows:
Window --> 3Dconnexion --> 3D Mouse Dialog
Robert Stadie
gotommy

Maxon says they do not work in the demo of R11

Post by gotommy »

but will work in the full version. I've only tried it in the demo, so I can neither confirm nor deny that this is true.