CadMouse - Disable 'free wheel' scrolling?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

jmr

Re: CadMouse - Disable 'free wheel' scrolling?

Post by jmr »

You need to replace <repo clone location> with the actual location on your mac.

If u trust me just use my precompiled application.
Attachments
cadmousectl.zip
(3.7 KiB) Downloaded 656 times
henke

Post by henke »

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I just got two wireless CadMice that i'm using at home and at the office.

My issue is when I'm scrolling in apps like Photoshop, Illustrator and Google Chrome. If I scroll very carefully, it works well. If I scroll just a bit too fast or too much it will scroll fast in that direction until I scroll the other way.

Is this the same issue that you call "free wheel scrolling"?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi henke,

you can find in the 3Dconnexion properties in the device tab right under the speed slider a tickbox to disable the "Smart Scrolling".
henke

Post by henke »

Tanks, but that doesn't do anything.

I found this manual claiming that there are Advanced settings where I can edit "Wheel scrolling size" from 'Lines' to 'Page'. I think that I would be able to fix this if only I could access the advanced settings for my CadMouse on my mac. But I can't find it anywhere… 
https://fccid.io/2AAHQ-UR/User-Manual/U ... 91850.html
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-03-12 kl. 14.59.59.png
Screenshot 2018-03-12 kl. 14.59.59.png (181.85 KiB) Viewed 24419 times
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

This is from the Windows driver - not from the Mac driver. See below:

Mac_SmartScroll.png
Mac_SmartScroll.png (79 KiB) Viewed 24416 times
henke

Post by henke »

Thanks. I tried that, but at first it didn't work. Then I restarted my computer and it seems to work fine now. Thanks.
tomastv

Post by tomastv »

I am still having this issue with the CAD Mouse Pro. All drivers updated. Has there been any progress on this from 3Dconnexion side?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi tomastv,

what exactly is the problem on your side?
tomastv

Post by tomastv »

Scrolling acceleration. When scrolling one click at a time the screen moves one line at a time. When scrolling faster, the screen moves multiple lines at a time. I find the way this is realised very unintuitive and difficult to control. Is it possible to switch this off, leaving the scrolling speed consistent? There is a 'Smart Scrolling' option in the settings but it does not affect this behaviour. Windows settings have more options (attached in a post earlier). Are these controls available on Mac?
paulll

Post by paulll »

Similar issue with the free scrolling. I am trying to use the mouse on a Win7 machine and cannot install the 3dxware software. On every other machine I use running win10, I have disabled the free scrolling, but by default without the software installed, it reverts back to being on.

Is there a way, or would it be possible, to update the FW on the mouse (or the receiver?) to flip the default state to have the free scrolling feature disabled? I don't want it on ever.

In theory the feature is great, however it is far, far too agressive and five clicks on the scroll wheel gives me 100+ scroll events according to an autohotkey script I am trying to write to debounce the scrolling. For this to be a useful feature, it either needs like 3x the input threshold to be activated, or needs to be 1/10 as long in duration on the output.
tomastv

Post by tomastv »

I had to return the mouse due to this issue and move on to Logitech's products.
dcudfhl

Post by dcudfhl »

I had to register to answer this, even if it is from 2018.

Actually, there are two things at work here. Smart scroll has to be disabled, and that indeed removes the unwanted effect when using the mouse wheel too fast.

However, it is still possible to actuate a click onto the mouse wheel! As you can see in "Assign buttons", this defaults to "Middle mouse button". And what does a click onto the wheel do, if we try it out in e.g. Youtube? You guessed it, it switches the mouse mode to free scrolling (as indicated by a change of the mouse cursor). So does basically the same as smart scrolling. It is not so easy for a beginner to realize this, when you are just used to fast scroll this wheel, you are not aware that you are also pressing it. This is what causes this confusion.

The fix is to set the wheel click to "Nothing". This may be found under "3DConnexion>nothing". Now you may scroll all the way you want (provided smart scroll is also disabled). The middle mouse button click is still available (via the middle mouse button.) We just disabled the wheel click.

So, thats working perfectly fine after some configuration. Caused some confustion for me. At first I suspected the new motherboards USB not working (but that was ruled out with another mouse). I think the designers of these functions just are not aware of how a middle mouse button gets used by a wide range of users. Enabling this as default behaviour is imho a design fail. Anyway, for me it works now!
dcudfhl

Post by dcudfhl »

I had to register to answer this, even if it is from 2018.

Actually, there are two things at work here. Smart scroll has to be disabled, and that indeed removes the unwanted effect when using the mouse wheel too fast.

However, it is still possible to actuate a click onto the mouse wheel! As you can see in "Assign buttons", this defaults to "Middle mouse button". And what does a click onto the wheel do, if we try it out in e.g. Youtube? You guessed it, it switches the mouse mode to free scrolling (as indicated by a change of the mouse cursor). So does basically the same as smart scrolling. It is not so easy for a beginner to realize this, when you are just used to fast scroll this wheel, you are not aware that you are also pressing it. This is what causes this confusion.

The fix is to set the wheel click to "Nothing". This may be found under "3DConnexion>nothing". Now you may scroll all the way you want (provided smart scroll is also disabled). The middle mouse button click is still available (via the middle mouse button.) We just disabled the wheel click.

So, thats working perfectly fine after some configuration. Caused some confustion for me. At first I suspected the new motherboards USB not working (but that was ruled out with another mouse). I think the designers of these functions just are not aware of how a middle mouse button gets used by a wide range of users. Enabling this as default behaviour is imho a design fail. Anyway, for me it works now!