Problems with OS X (Leopard) and Photoshop CS3

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

neen

Problems with OS X (Leopard) and Photoshop CS3

Post by neen »

When I have the SpaceNavigator plugged in, I can't drag any photoshop windows around, I can't resize them, and I can't access the menu.

Not only that, but this thing doesn't work in Maya, either. It's going back.

When something is advertised as working with a product (Maya/Photoshop) I expect it to work properly with those products.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

It's possible that your SpaceNavigator is "drifting" and is sending device events as if you're touching the cap even though you're not.

Unplug and replug the device then go to the 3dx pref pane and click "Calibrate" on the Device Configuration tab

For Maya, you can install the mel scripts supplied with the driver. Once that's done, please look at your script console and see if there are any errors reported
neen

Post by neen »

flomotan wrote:It's possible that your SpaceNavigator is "drifting" and is sending device events as if you're touching the cap even though you're not.

Unplug and replug the device then go to the 3dx pref pane and click "Calibrate" on the Device Configuration tab

For Maya, you can install the mel scripts supplied with the driver. Once that's done, please look at your script console and see if there are any errors reported
I actually tried your advice several times (even tried restarting) to no avail.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Since there are two issues you reported, let's discuss both in detail.

For Maya, do you see any errors in the mel script console? If no errors are reported, do you see data coming in from the device when you move the cap? If you don't see any data, type "MagellanStartup;" on the console and let me know what happens.

For Photoshop, go to the 3Dconnexion pref pane and select Photoshop CS3. Then click on Calibrate and then try PS again.
neen

Post by neen »

I've already sent it back, however I did try your steps for Photoshop CS3 and I had no luck.
agdink

Post by agdink »

I am having the same issue. Prior to updating my OS to Leopard, I was able to get the SpaceNavigator working with Maya. Since upgrading though... I haven't had any success. Is there any suggestions for this? I've downloaded and updated the software as recently as today. Followed the instructions, but Maya 2008 isn't even showing the 3Dconnexion logo up top anymore. Seems to work on my PC fine.
I tried the "MegellanStartup;" suggestion below, but there was an error stating that the application was not found. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The error stating that MagellanStartup was not found means that the 3Dconnexion Maya files are not being loaded. Try the following troubleshooting tip

Use Spotlight and search for usersetup.mel. If there are two or more of these files around, note the folder where each of the files reside. Maya would be loading the scripts from only one of these folders. Try copying the 3Dconnexion files to the other folder which does not contain them. Be careful with overwriting usersetup.mel in the other folders. You should actually merge the contents of the 3Dconnexion usersetup.mel with what's in the other folder.

If there's only one usersetup.mel file, please let me know what the complete folder path to it is