use space navigator to rotate object in SketchUp?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

plazmyd

use space navigator to rotate object in SketchUp?

Post by plazmyd »

Is it possible to orbit, twist, move a group or component in SketchUp with the Space Navigator? I used a device from http://www.sandiotech.com/ that allowed one to toggle between "view" mode and "object" mode.

MC
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear plazmyd,

To move objects you will need to use the Sketchup move tool. However you may choose a 'camera mode' for use with the 3Dmouse. Your point of view will move as though you are walking through the scene. You may find it useful to use the 'Disable Rolling' Feature to maintain a vertical orientation while 'walking'. ; ^ >

Sincerely,
Bryan
plazmyd

Post by plazmyd »

I would like to be able to use the functionality of the red rotation handles on a group or component in SketchUp with the Space Navigator, not necessarily move the object in any given direction.

Right now I have a series of components and I need to rotate them (using the Move tool rotation handles, NOT the rotate tool) in all directions. The component axis is positioned precisely at the center of the object so basically it is a three step process for me with a mouse. I grab the rotation handles on the top, rotate; grab a rotation handle on the side, rotate; grab a rotation on the other side, rotate.

It is not a helicopter, but perhaps that would provide the best visual. With the funky ***** mouse, I can do this. I am guessing that it is not a feature with the Space Navigator? Is there a place to request this functionality? I apologize if I am missing something with the device.

Regards Matt
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear plazmyd,

This is not a behavior that the Sketchup Developers have included in their application. Sharing your interest in obtaining this functionality in future version of SketchUp is best shared with the Sketchup Marketing/Development Teams. Let them know that as a user this is a desirable feature that would add sellable value to their future versions.

Sincerely,
Bryan G.