PE will not work in Maya 8.5 on a 10.5.2 Mac

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Tabs

PE will not work in Maya 8.5 on a 10.5.2 Mac

Post by Tabs »

Hello, first time poster here, I've just reciveved my new Apple MacPro last week and so far everything is working very well, I have boot camp running on it with Vista, no problems there, I installed CS3 DP on Leopard and no problems, However when I Installed and ran my copy of Maya 8.5 Unlimited on the Mac OS, the Space Navigator is not recognized by Maya. I have used this same device with this same copy of Maya on a Windows XP system and It worked fine there. The device works fine in OS X if I use Google Earth. I have tried the MEL command script MagellanStartup; but that too only generated errors (// Error: Cannot find procedure "MagellanStartup".) I have installed the latest driver for the PE off the 3D Connection website, I have spoken with a tech rep this morning on the issue but he was unable to assist me.

I would love to get this volume knob working properly with Maya 8.5 in Mac OS10.5.2, It worked wonders in Windows XP.

Can anyone help?
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

The message (// Error: Cannot find procedure "MagellanStartup".) means that the 3Dconnexion MEL scripts are not getting loaded.

See this post viewtopic.php?p=8507#8507
Tabs

Post by Tabs »

I have searched for that file "userSetup.mel" in spotlight and had no search results. Could I have installed Maya incorrectly? I followed all the installation instructions.
Tabs

I fix it, but..

Post by Tabs »

Thank you for your help. I have been able to get the PE to work in my copy of Maya; however, I am now faced with another set of errors.

One. As with other posters, the script editor in Maya fills with "Motion Callback" lines and does bog down the UI.

Two I am unable to roll with the PE and I cannot move in more then one axis at a time.

Also, in the 3D Connection control box in system prefs, I cannot calibrate the device.

Thanks again.
Tabs

Post by Tabs »

I have fixed the rolling issue, but the other two remain.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

On the issue of not being able to move in more than one axis at a time, please check that "Dominant" is not checked on the "Applications" tab on the 3Dconnexion preference pane.

Inside Maya, you can bring-up a settings dialog by pressing the left button of your SpaceNavigator. On there, you'll find "Enable dominant axis filter". This should not be checked.

Does the view in Maya move on its own even though you are not touching the cap? If it does, that's when you need to calibrate the device. Select Maya as the app and press Calibrate. If the view is not moving on its own, you don't have to hit calibrate.

We're working to improve performance while the script console is open. It should be in our 1.5.0 driver release due in about a month
ferni59ff

Post by ferni59ff »

I got 2 questions.

1st: when is the update gonna come out.
2nd: is there any way on using the space navigator on maya without writing magellanstartup all the time.

:?