notebook version suddenly dysfunctional

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

SMcQ

notebook version suddenly dysfunctional

Post by SMcQ »

I sent an email via the email form page to tech support last Saturday and have yet to hear back as of Tuesday evening. Been a lot longer than 24 hours.

The notebook version with the latest Mac OS driver worked at first with Google Earth. Then it lost the neutral position and started drifting upward rapidly, as if catching a ride on a space launch. In hands-off position it now sends an upward movement signal. Impossible to use, as the upward motion must be countered continuously. This is also true with the box crate demo, in which case it is the crate, not the camera position, that moves upward without any user input.

Thought the callibrate button is supposed to correct for this, according to the scant documentation, but clicking on it results in nothing. No new dialog window, nothing. What is it callibrating, how long it takes to feel entirely frustrated?

Also, where the heck is the serial number on this product? One of the two box bar codes? Inside the box, found only the quick start guides for the various platforms, and the CD, and the unit. Was it on the blister pack that takes the jaws of life to open, which I disposed of?

I guess I'm going to call the 800 number, hoping that I don't have to spend a lot of time waiting. Are other people here having trouble getting tech support to answer emails?

I'm wondering if the notebook version made some compromises in robustness to achieve a smaller footprint and less weight. We need something that will not break under gentle pressure within 20 minutes of first use.

If we can exchange for the standard model, that would be OK, as that one seems to have worked out the mechanical bugs.

SMcQ
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry SMcQ,

I donot see the email you sent on Saturday.
Business hours are Monday -Friday Any email sent over the weekend gets addressed on Monday.
The calibrate button works behind the scene it rezeroe the puck.
If the device is not responding correctly give us a call direct.

The Serial number is located on the paper tag next to the USB plugin.

Fred
SMcQ

calibrate is selective

Post by SMcQ »

Found the serial number, thanks.

Got calibrate to work when using the box crate demo. Had tried same procedure when in Google Earth, no result. So I guess calibrate is particular about what program it is in.

I think the problem arose when someone (there are multiple users) lifted the device by the knob, stretching the restoring spring just enough so that the knob sent out a continuous upward movement signal.

Some user training required so that won't happen again. SpaceNavigator will be the controlling device for a public 3D stereo fly-through of a Lake Tahoe Basin model, conducted by docents.