can not start mac with space navigator plugged in

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Gary

can not start mac with space navigator plugged in

Post by Gary »

problems:

1. can not start mac with space navigator plugged in (computer hangs at light blue screen)

2. can start computer without navigator plugged in. Plug in navigator after start— it is not recognized.

3. start up computer with out navigator plugged in, hold down both navigator buttons and plug in navigator to front (powered) usb port, nothing happens (no lights on navigator).

mac osx 10.5.4

3Dconnexion control 1.5.2 (clean install)

Thanks,

Gary
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi Gary,

Please try to uninstall the SpaceNavigator - does your Mac then boot-up with the device plugged in? Do you see suspicious entries in /var/log/system.log?

If you connect the device after booting - do you see the SpaceNavigator under "About This Mac -> More Info -> USB"?
Robert Stadie
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hello Robert:

Yes, if plugged in after start up, the space navigator shows up in "About This Mac -> More Info -> USB". Still no light on the SpaceNavigator though.

I can not find a file system.log on my computer.

I believe this is a software driver problem/conflict as I can get the SpaceNavigator to work on my laptop. This is a clean install of 3Dconnexion control 1.5.2. I am using mac osx 10.5.4.

I think it is a conflict from migrating/transferring all my data from my old computer to this new computer using Apples migration assistant...

Gary
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Does the SpaceNavigator light up after you opened the 3DConnexion Control Panel (System Preferences -> 3Dconnexion -> Configure -> Enable LEDs)?
Robert Stadie
Gary

Post by Gary »

No, the LED will not come on as I toggle enable LED's on and off. The LED's do come on with my laptop.

Gary
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

I would guess either your USB port or the SpaceNavigator are running at the edge of specifications. Please contact technical support. It may be that your device needs to be replaced.
Robert Stadie