How about a simple interface not requiring a unique driver?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ronhip

How about a simple interface not requiring a unique driver?

Post by ronhip »

Now that you are a Logitech company, I encourage you to look at the Logitech system preference for OS X. As a down-and-dirty simple interface, you could allow us to assign a key-press to any of the six degrees of freedom (like I can with the extra mouse buttons on my Logitech mouse). For instance, if I push forward, I'd like the SpaceNavigator to "press" the up-arrow key (for as long as I push forward), and when I pull up, I want to "press" the 'page up' key, etc.

If you could provide this simple generic interface, one could use the SpaceNavigator in many programs without a specific driver. It would be easily configured by the user with no programming experience. Of course, one would not have the fine analog control one gets with a driver, but then again it's a good rough start that would make it immediately useful in hundreds of programs. You are unnecessarily limiting your sales if you require a unique driver for every program!

I look forward to your response.
angelobanjo

Re: How about a simple interface not requiring a unique driv

Post by angelobanjo »

ronhip wrote:
If you could provide this simple generic interface, one could use the SpaceNavigator in many programs without a specific driver. It would be easily configured by the user with no programming experience. Of course, one would not have the fine analog control one gets with a driver, but then again it's a good rough start that would make it immediately useful in hundreds of programs. You are unnecessarily limiting your sales if you require a unique driver for every program!

I look forward to your response.
I second this request. As I've mentioned in other posts, having a more universal access to this device would open up a huge market for graphic oriented people on the mac. Wacom has pushed the stylus input to all new levels, but this device can greatly assist in navigation (scrubbing video, interactive zooms in Photoshop/Aperture, etc.). I hope the efforts of so many Logitech companies can be combined to create universal access to this device (i.e. MX Revolution driver development).

Kudos for getting this beta out and working, I look forward to rapid expansion!
ruigato

Post by ruigato »

hi ronhip,

that's a nice idea, and can allready be achieved with some nice levels of control :)

check this post out:

viewtopic.php?t=309

of course that the native drivers in the apps is the best solution, that analog feel is what makes the SN so appealing...