SpaceNavigator & Maya 8.5 UB?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

quinn

SpaceNavigator & Maya 8.5 UB?

Post by quinn »

Recently purchased the SpaceNavigator and I am thrilled by it when working with 3dsMax or Maya on Windows. However, the new Maya 8.5 for Macintosh is not supported.
Is there any chance that the beta will support Maya 8.5 soon?

I appreciate your work on the beta very much. So far, it has been worked like a charm for my everyday apps. :)
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello quinn:

Thank you very much for your feedback. Always appreciated.

We'll have a look at Maya 8.5 and inform via this forum when we may be able to have an update, including a beta.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

We've tested Maya 8.5 on a MacTel machine and it works very well. The sluggish performance seen with pre 8.5 versions of Maya is gone since it's now a universal binary.

In order for SpaceNavigator to work with Maya, please download and install the Maya MEL scripts from the drivers download page at www.3dconnexion.com. Instruction on how to install the scripts is on the download page.
quinn

Post by quinn »

Thanks a lot! That's sweet! 8)
I never thought the Scripts for Maya 6/7 would work with the new 8.5. You made my day. :)
pht

Post by pht »

i'm sorry but maya 8.5 intel doesn't recognize the spacenavigator…

Did i miss something :
i download the driver, put the mel scripts into the application content (in the right place), launched maya but nothing happens when i use the spacenavigator… I even restart my computer but nothing happens again. By the way SketchUp works fine with the navigator.

any clues?
i'm on os x 10.4.8
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

Try typing this on the MEL script command line:

MagellanStartup;

and look at the script console for any errors. You should also see device data get logged into the console when you move the SpaceNavigator cap.
pht

Post by pht »

yes thanks,

when i type this command the spacenavigator works,
here is the imessage from the console :

MagellanStartup;
// Warning: Move Camera //
// Warning: Rotate around center of the scene/object! //
// Warning: Fly mode on! //

But when i quit and relaunch i must re-type the command to get the spacenavigator works again…
quinn

Post by quinn »

But when i quit and relaunch i must re-type the command to get the spacenavigator works again…
This is because the script usersetup.mel is either missing or damaged. This script does exactly what flomotan told you to try.
Content:

Code: Select all

//  The usersetup script is executed, when loading Maya

MagellanStartup;
If you really had checked the scripts this would have been solved. RTFM is all I can say to this. :(
pht

Post by pht »

"If you really had checked the scripts this would have been solved. RTFM is all I can say to this. "

Thanks for your advice but i did what exactly was written in the TFM, :-)

I think the script is damaged, i will check it later.

Thanks anyway
lcooperdesign

Post by lcooperdesign »

Hi, I have the exact same issue as pht. I'm using Maya 8.5 on a Mac Pro.

On immediate startup of Maya the Script Editor displays the following:

// Warning: File not found: /Applications/Autodesk/maya8.5/Maya.app/Contents/icons/3Dx_Cube.xpm //
file -f -new;
// ./untitled //
commandPort -securityWarning -name commandportDefault;
// MayaLive version 8.5// Saving runtime commands to : /Users/lcooper/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/8.5/prefs/userRunTimeCommands.mel
// Saving hotkeys to : /Users/lcooper/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/8.5/prefs/userHotkeys.mel
// Saving named commands to : /Users/lcooper/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/8.5/prefs/userNamedCommands.mel
// Preferences saved. See Script Editor for details.

There is no response from my SpaceNavigator until I type the command: MagellanStartup;

On restarting Maya the functionality ceases to work again until the command is re-entered.

So like you mentioned quinn the script appears to be damaged.
May I ask where in "TFM" it explains the issue and provides a solution? :oops:
I have just re-downloaded the driver (1.2.0) and overwritten the existing scripts. Which did not resolve the problem.

I would appreciate any help that can be provided.
Thanks in advance.
flomotan

Post by flomotan »

To close the loop on lcooperdesign's question, the issue was there was another userSetup.mel script that was being executed instead of the userSetup.mel script from 3Dconnexion.

Fixing this involves using Spotlight or Finder to search for occurrences of usersetup.mel on your system. If you have more than one, then you'd need to edit the non-3Dconnexion file and append this line to the end.

Code: Select all

MagellanStartup;
You can delete the 3Dconnexion usersetup.mel file afterwards
pht

Post by pht »

Thanks now it's working without a scratch!!
baloo

Maya 8.5 on the mac

Post by baloo »

I've read the msgs. in the forum, but I'm still unable to get the Navigator PE version to work. Can someone please specify the exact steps to get this to work in Maya on a OSX PPC machine. Thanks.
baloo

Maya 8.5 on the mac

Post by baloo »

After pulling my hair out... I finally figured it out. How stupid!!

I prefer not to have the shelf visible when I work and I noticed that it was complaining about something with shelf icon. I made the shelf visible in the GUI, typed in MagellanStartup; and it worked.

Why does it matter if I have the shelf visible...? At least it's solved for now.
TheDrummer

doesn't work :(

Post by TheDrummer »

Hi, Lads!

I tested the Demos of this Navigator and I like it very much!

BUT: It doesn't work in my Maya 8.0

I have tested everything out this forum says but if i type "MagellanStartup;"
the following Error appears:
// Error: Object not found: MayaWindow|mayaMainWindowForm|formLayout2|formLayout14|formLayout15|formLayout49|ShelfLayout| //

Can someone help me?
I've got the latest drivers and PlugIns installed!

my system:
2x2GHz G5
3,5GB RAM
OS X 10.4.10
3D connexion Space Navigator

THX!

P.S.: I'd like to see that more Applications are supported on a MAC ;)