SpaceMouse not working with Mac OS 10.13.3 and Fusion360

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

rwtriplett

SpaceMouse not working with Mac OS 10.13.3 and Fusion360

Post by rwtriplett »

Recently purchased a new Spacemouse. I downloaded the current drivers, however, it only controls the curser direction, pushing down is a mouse click and rotating will scroll a webpage. I have tried it with fusion 360, and the demos that installed with the driver and still NO 3D NAVIGATION. The pairing app seems to work correctly but when I start the trainer the icon appears in the taskbar for a second then disappears. I have tried uninstalling then installing a couple of times plus installing the last archived driver. Found this process in the forums except the EXTENSION IS NOT SHOWING BLOCKED so I can't allow it:

- install the driver
- go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy
- click the lock icon and enter your password
- allow the extension that was blocked
- go to System Preferences
- option + right click the 3Dconnexion icon, choose to remove it
- reboot
- reinstall driver
- reboot
- should work now

Any help would be appreciated. I submitted a support request a few days ago and haven't received a response. If I can't figure this out, I'm going to return it to Amazon. Thanks for any advice you have...
christophe

Re: SpaceMouse not working with Mac OS 10.13.3 and Fusion360

Post by christophe »

Hi rwtriplett,

The procedure you are refering to can be found here http://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/1127
This is actually done when you first install the driver.
Fusion should work, please try the following procedure :
1. Browse or search your Applications folder for “3Dconnexion”. You should only see one 3Dconnexion folder located in “Macintosh HD/Applications”. If this isn’t the case, navigate to the duplicate directory and select Uninstall 3Dconnexion Driver.
2. Restart your Mac.
3. Run the installer for the current driver again.
If the above doesn’t work, I suspect the driver or configuration files are corrupt and need to be reinstalled/cleaned.
1. Open Finder and go to Applications > 3Dconnexion. Select Uninstall 3Dconnexion Driver.
2. Navigate to your home directory and go to Library > Preferences. (ie. ~/Library/Preferences)
3. Delete anything with the preceding text: com.3dconnexion
4. Restart your Mac.
5. Run the installer for the current driver.
rwtriplett

Post by rwtriplett »

Thank you for your help. Tried your recommendation and it's still not working. Here is what I did:

- Uninstalled 3Dconnexion Driver
- Went to ~/Library/Preferences
- Did not find anything with the preceding text: com.3dconnexion (nor did I find anything after I reinstalled the driver which I found odd)
- Restarted my Mac.
- Ran the installer for the current driver.
- During install I did not get the “system extension blocked” window.
- Restarted my Mac.
- Went to the System Preferences and the “Security & Privacy” pane. Clicked the unlock button. Could not find anything referencing "3Dconnexion S.A.M." There was however an error "Some system software was blocked from loading." When I click “allow” nothing happens and the button and error text remains.

Please let me know what other information I can provide to troubleshoot the problem. Thank you...

Rob
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Rob,

note that the issue with the kernel extension is not 3Dconnexion specific - it applies to all 3rd party kernel extensions.

It seems you are running into a problem that is discussed here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8087342.
MasOmetal

Post by MasOmetal »

Any update on this? I'm having the same issue but oddly... I don't have that issue on another Mac.
ChristopherN

Post by ChristopherN »

Hi,

I have the same problem. I've got the Enterprise version, it works fine with the first install on my iMac. Tried multiple installs on the MacBook Pro and nothing seems to work (the Spacemouse works as normal mouse). Both Macs should be basically the same as they were set up in the same way and have the same updates and software installed. Both Macs run 10.13.6.

And ideas?

Thanks

Christopher
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi,

check if you have any other software installed that has a kernel extension that needs to be authorized. This could block the 3Dconnexion software from being alloed. Just make sure you follow the instructions from our FAQ.
caltain

Post by caltain »

I just got my Enterprise about a week back and have been fiddling with it since. Uta is on to the likely culprit, but I haven't had any problem with the authorizations. Rather, I have found BetterTouchTool to be especially fickle. In fact, it's so likely to be the source of the issue you describe that every time it happens, I just relaunch BTT and things start working again.
Leo101

Post by Leo101 »

Suffering from the exact same issue!

And regarding UTA's post, no, it is not a Security & Privacy issue, the installation went without any error messages and nothing was reported blocked. The option is also not listed under Security & Privacy.

Anyone had any success solving the issue? (Just got a SpaceMouse Enterprise, worried I am going to have to send it back immediately :( )
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Leo101,

Sorry for the frustrations! I would recommend installing driver 10.6.1 which is located on our website and see if it will start working for you.
Usually you have to allow the kernel extension is Security and Privacy in order for the device to function and communicate with the machine properly.
Some machines you won't have to allow the kernel extension because the configurations are different. I've included the list on instructions needed to uninstall and install driver 10.6.1 after. Please follow the steps below:

1. Uninstall the current driver. Go to Finder >> Applications >> 3Dconnexion >> Uninstall.
2. Reboot
3. Install driver 10.6.1 package here https://www.3dconnexion.com/index.php?e ... MACOS&ap3=
4. Reboot
5. Click the Apple Icon
6. System Preferences
7. Security and Privacy
8. Under the General tab, click "Allow" for "3Dconnexion S.A.M." This should be below "Allow apps downloaded from:" You can also refer to the link here for images: https://www.3dconnexion.com/nc/service/ ... ojave.html
9. Reboot your Machine
10. test it

Regards,
Abdul. A
skyscorcher

Post by skyscorcher »

Hello, I have the exact same problem on macOS 10.15.4. I have tried to install the previous version of the driver and it asked me to allow the extension, which I did. The device is found on the preferences, but I cannot calibrate it, the cursor isn't doing anything and in general, it has zero functionality. It's as if it's not connected at all. Could you please help me out here?

Thanks
Delacroix

Post by Delacroix »

3dconnexion enterprise installed on a macbook pro 2019 with Catalina 10.15.5, is nothing better than a bowl with buttons. After I bought the Enterprise kit, I found that it does not work properly installed on Catalina. I work in Blender. No button can be programmed, the display only shows the logo. After thousands of complaints, aren't you ashamed to sell this product again?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

skyscorcher wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:46 pm Hello, I have the exact same problem on macOS 10.15.4. I have tried to install the previous version of the driver and it asked me to allow the extension, which I did. The device is found on the preferences, but I cannot calibrate it, the cursor isn't doing anything and in general, it has zero functionality. It's as if it's not connected at all. Could you please help me out here?

Thanks
Hi skyscorcher,

try if the following procedure solves the issue:
  • Delete the kernel extension for our driver.
    • Open Finder
    • Go to your hard drive.
    • You should be able to find Library. Select the dropdown.
    • Go to extensions
    • You should see 3Dconnexion.kext here.
  • Once that done, please follow the steps below.
    • Uninstall the current driver. Go to Finder >> Applications >> 3Dconnexion >> Uninstall.
    • Reboot
    • Install the driver. Make sure to Accept all the prompts.
    • Reboot
    • Click the Apple Icon
    • System Preferences
    • Security and Privacy
    • Under the General tab, click "Allow" for "3Dconnexion S.A.M." This should be below "Allow apps downloaded from:" You can also refer to [url=https://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/1141]this link for images.
    • Reboot your Machine
    • test it
Let us know what you find out.
Nath_McCluskey

Post by Nath_McCluskey »

Hey, did anybody find a solution to this. It will just not show the 'allow' option in the settings.
I have 4x uninstalled, 4x reinstalled, deleted the properties files, deleted the extension files. still no joy.

The annoying part is that the mouse was working, now I have updated to Big Sur and now all that it does is move the courser, can not click anything.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Nath_McCluskey,

for Big Sur you need our beta driver.