3DConnexion Drivers for Mac OS Mojave

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

bfalther

Re: 3DConnexion Drivers for Mac OS Mojave

Post by bfalther »

Seeing "No Device Found" when opening the 3D Connexion application, yet the spacemouse clearly has some sort of function - it controls the mouse in the 2d plane (even when not in a specific application) and just goes bonkers when I use in SketchUp / OnShape.

MacOS - Mojave
Most recent up-to-date driver (10.6.0)
Followed the FAQ - ensured that security preferences properly enabled.

HELP! Really cramping my work flow and looking into alternative mouse options (anyone else find anything?). Huge miss by 3D connexion - you guys really dropped the ball. Super disappointed by what I've seen from a support perspective.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi bfalther,

please try the following:
  • uninstall the 3Dconnexion driver
  • reboot as adviced
  • install the 3Dconnexion driver again and follow system instructions
  • then follow the instructions in FAQ #1141
  • reboot as adviced
  • just in case the device is still not yet recognized unplug and replug it
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

UtaSH wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:01 am
RicoHo wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:19 am Now we have the new driver but the radial menu of the CAD mouse looks wrong.
We are tracking this issue with our internal bug tracking number #MAC-72.
More than 1 month later... any news about this bug?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

The fix will be available in the next driver release.
boomer

Post by boomer »

And might when will that be?

FYI - even using your demo models, the driver you supply does not work. All of the axis are jacked up and it acts like a 2D mouse. More to the point, it conflicts with the standard 2D mouse.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Please see here.

How does the 3Dconnexion driver conflict with your standard 2D mouse?
What model of standard mouse do you have?
Did you install additional software for it?
Are you using any other periphela device like a tablet?
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

After installing this driver update on El Capitan on my 2008 Mac Pro, it will not reboot.
I get a white screen with a ‘no entry’ sign.
Booting into single user mode with Terminal doesn’t complete, I have a line of text which reads: Still waiting for root device.

This is a Samsung 500gb SSD installed in 2017 and there have been no issues so far.

Repairing the drive using Recovery mode doesn’t work.

What do I do now?
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

You should post on the MacRumors forum, https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/. You will have to provide a lot more information about your setup though.

This may have nothing to do with 3Dconnecrtion. This could be a bad GPU or graphic drivers. Try restarting by clearing the PRAM. (command-option-P-R). My 2010 Mac Pro used to do this when I ran a OS update without resetting my screen resolution to "Default for display".
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

Er, no, I don't think so.

My machine was running just fine, and had been running fine for years. I turn it off every evening.

I installed the updated driver and the machine wouldn't reboot when the driver intiated a system restart.

I reinstalled the OS, restarted the machine, transferred all the information from the old account, and the same thing happened again.

I purchased a new iMac Pro because the previous machine was overdue for replacement anyway, transferred the user account information, and the brand new machine wouldn't shut down.

I uninstalled the software and driver (or so I thought) reinstalled the updated driver, and it still won't restart.

I've done the PRAM, NVRAM, SMC controller, all that stuff. Nope. I'm reasonably competent with Macs. I've been using one at home and one at work for over a decade. I know how to use the terminal and the console log and restart, and clone the drive, and all that stuff. If I can't do something, I research it and fix it. I can't fix this though.

The latest mac driver installs (I still have the won't reboot issue) but the driver doesn't work, and when I move the Spacemouse, it moves the mouse pointer, but doesn't behave as it ought.

This absolutely looks like a driver issue.

It's not working. My Spacemouse that has been flawless for around 7 years, is now totally useless.

What I would like is instructions to totally remove the software and driver on the Mac. I can then uninstall and test the configuration. If it works, I can clone the system and reinstall the driver and see what happens next.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi bigstick,

have you verified if the instructions from my post above solve the problem? It sounds as if the kernel extension has not been allowed.
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

The hardware used to work fine until I updated to the latest driver.

I have a Logitech M705 marathon mouse with the latest Logitech software.

There is no tablet or anything else installed.

Do you mean these instructions?

Did you try if removing the existing settings changes the situation? It may be - for some strange reasons - that the com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist file is messed up. So please try remove it (you may want to have it backed up before!) from ~/Library/Preferences/. (Please note: Before removal, close the System Preferences and thus the 3Dconnexion prefs.) If you now reopen the 3dconnexion prefs, a new/clean com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist is created. The mappings should work right away.

I'll test these in the office tomorrow - I'm at home at the moment.
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

First of all, the problems occurred before the upgrade to Mojave.
The problem started in El Capitan. This was when my system refused to start.

When I replaced the machine, and transferred the user account to Mojave, it didn't work, so I reinstalled the driver, which didn't work.

I'll reinstall with your instructions and let you know how I get on. If this is a known issue, why didn't/don't you update the release notes with this information?
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

After I had the issue on Mojave, I tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall. I didn't get the notifications in the article you referred to.

I guess this means that the uninstall didn't complete, which isn't good either.

I reinstalled again, no notifications, but I haven't restarted yet.

Whichever way you look at it, this is not a satisfactory user experience.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi bigstick,

yes, I am referring to the instructions from our FAQ "3DxWareMac 10.6.0 Installation Notes for macOS 10.14 (Mojave)". The kernel extension has to be allowed. I recommend that you reboot your machine and then open the System Preferences. Go to "Security & Privacy" and see if you get the notification message at the n´bottom of that window.

In case you don't I recommend that you contact our Technical Support Team. They can assist you or in case they cannot they will escalate the issue to our engineers.

I agree that this is not a satisfactory user experience. Unfortunately it is not in our hand. Apple has strengthen their security controls even more. :(
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and I don't see the message to authorise the application.

It's currently uninstalled.