Blender 2.8 and SpaceMouse buttons?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Japi

Blender 2.8 and SpaceMouse buttons?

Post by Japi »

Has anybody found a way to make SpaceMouse buttons to work in Blender? I have SpaceMouse Entreprise, and I have configured few buttons on the numbered buttons (the ones with the LCD). For example I configured in 3DConnexion settings "Button 1" to be "s" (to resize/scale objects in Blender) . But it doesnt work Blender.

But if I configure inside Blender. For example, 3D View->3D View (Global)->Resize to use the "Button 1" on SpaceMouse ("NDOF Button 1"), then it works. Although I dont see this as a real solution, as there's a lot of shortcuts that use the same keyboard shortcut. For example "tab" is used in a lot of different places, so I would have to go to each shortcut that uses "tab" and change them manually.

Is there some solution to the problem?
Tullywhistles

Re: Blender 2.8 and SpaceMouse buttons?

Post by Tullywhistles »

Here's the solution that I came up with:

You actually have to call the correct function in Preferences>Keymap - scroll down to the key bindings. At the end of each section (I used "window") there is an "Add New" button.

Here's an example. I used button 1 to represent the number 1 to select vertices in edit mode.
Blender enterprise.jpg
Blender enterprise.jpg (174.17 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
Hope this helps someone because it wasn't intuitive to me. AND before you ask, I don't know all of the function calls. You can look up the keymap for what you want to activate. For example, I wanted to simulate pressing the "1" so in the search bar at the top of the keymap page I entered "1". Then I looked for the function call associated with a "1" press in the correct context.

Cheers,
Erik