SpaceMouse buttons in Blender 2.8?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Japi

SpaceMouse buttons in Blender 2.8?

Post by Japi »

Has somebody got the SpaceMouse Enterprise buttons (the buttons 1-12 with the LCD) to work in Blender 2.8? For example if I configure in 3DConnexion settings the "Button 1" to be "s" (for scaling/resizing in Blender), it doesnt work in Blender.

I do know that you can configure inside Blender to use the buttons 1-12. For example I could configure 3D View -> Resize to "button 1" (NDOF Button 1). But the problem is that I would need to create always a duplicate of that keyboard shortcut in Blender, if I would want to use that shortcut in SpaceMouse also. And also for example for the "s"-shortcut is configured in different actions (based where are in Blender), so you would have to duplicate a lot of shortcuts. So for these reasons directly configuring in Blender isnt a real solution.

I even tried a third party app ControllerMate to try to create a virtual joystick in which would take as an input the buttons 1-12 from SpaceMouse and then would output a keyboard command, but that didnt work either. Is there some kind of other work around to get the buttons 1-12 to work as keys in Blender?
popevideo

Re: SpaceMouse buttons in Blender 2.8?

Post by popevideo »

I have the same problem. For some strange reason buttons 11 and 12 do work. Would love to have the other buttons working as well.
Japi

Post by Japi »

I forget to mention here that I got the SpaceMouse Entreprise buttons to work in Blender. I used the ControllerMate third party app. I configure the SpaceMouse button to send a keyboard shortcut. I think the solution to make it work was, that in the 3DConnexion's own settings I created a profile for the ControllerMate, and then I set the Buttons 1-12 to be disabled. So I think that allowed the ControllerMate app to see the correct button ids from the SpaceMouse, so now I could add keyboard shortcuts to the buttons, and they also worked in Blender. And I also even mapped for example the Enter and Esc buttons to Undo and Redo shortcuts.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

we are tracking this issue with our internal bug number MAC-141. Unfortunately this is a limitation in our API.
CStudio

Post by CStudio »

Tullywhistles

Post by Tullywhistles »

I finally got my Enterprise Buttons to work.

You actually have to call the correct function in Preferences>Keymap - scroll down to the key bindings. At the end of each section (I used "window") there is an "Add New" button.

Here's an example. I used button 1 to represent the number 1 to select vertices in edit mode.
Blender enterprise.jpg
Blender enterprise.jpg (176.45 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
Hope this helps someone because it wasn't intuitive to me. AND before you ask, I don't know all of the function calls. You can look up the keymap for what you want to activate. For example, I wanted to simulate pressing the "1" so in the search bar at the top of the keymap page I entered "1". Then I looked for the function call associated with a "1" press in the correct context.

Cheers,
Erik
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

^ Great !
Thanks.

Now give me Blender Icons - and on M1 Macs :D