Navigator has slowed to crawl even at maximum speed setting

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

fionmacool

Navigator has slowed to crawl even at maximum speed setting

Post by fionmacool »

Hi there,

I was just starting to find the Navigator quite useful in my SketchUp workflow then I made a minor adjustment and it became really slow, so I maximised the speed and it only makes a tiny difference. Unfortunately the Navigator is now so slow that it is no longer useful. Its back to scrolling with the mouse.

I downloaded the newest driver. I am running SketchUp 8 on a Mac running OSX.6

I suppose I'll have to wait for the next driver release before being able to use my Navigator again. Or will there be a patch? :cry:
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi fionmacool,

see here for instructions how to get the current driver to work with Sketchup 8.

It might be a good idea to remove the existing installation before you start with the new one.
fionmacool

Now navigator doesn't work at all.

Post by fionmacool »

Hi, Can you please just email the new plugin files to me or provide a location to download them from? The 3dconnexion installer doesn't work. Also Sketchup 6 is no longer available to download.

Thanks.

uludwig wrote:Hi fionmacool,

see here for instructions how to get the current driver to work with Sketchup 8.

It might be a good idea to remove the existing installation before you start with the new one.
fionmacool

Another thing

Post by fionmacool »

Did you read my question? I said that I had the driver working, just that it was too slow. Your answer related to the installation, not the issue I was talking about.

Please get the driver sorted out. The navigator is great, the plugin is not working. Please test it before release!

By the way, for anyone who needs to just get the driver (older version I think), here are the links:

http://www.box.net/shared/dezmr83uhn

http://www.box.net/shared/7fgaa4adb2
UtaSH

Re: Navigator has slowed to crawl even at maximum speed sett

Post by UtaSH »

fionmacool wrote:Hi there,

I was just starting to find the Navigator quite useful in my SketchUp workflow then I made a minor adjustment and it became really slow, so I maximised the speed and it only makes a tiny difference. Unfortunately the Navigator is now so slow that it is no longer useful. Its back to scrolling with the mouse.
Hello fionmacool,

what minor adjustment did you make? We could not reproduce any slow movement with Sketchup 8 for now. Can you go back to the situation before you made the adjustment?
fionmacool wrote: Please get the driver sorted out. The navigator is great, the plugin is not working. Please test it before release!
Stay tuned for the next release that will have the plugin for Sketchup 8.

The plugin from the current and the previous drivers are not tested with Sketchup 8. Just with the Sketchup versions that had been released at the time we released our 3DxMacWare. 8)
fionmacool

Can't find the problem

Post by fionmacool »

Unfortunately I can't remember what adjustment I made before the driver went funny. It wasn't anything too unusual. I tried reinstalling the driver but no luck so far.

I miss using the navigator. I could have done with it for the job I am doing at the moment- way behind time. The Nav is starting to become useful in a workflow.

I look forward to an SU 8 Macware release! :o

I apologise for being a bit blunt. I had a bad experience before- long time ago- so was expecting more of the same. I am more pleased with the response this time.
fionmacool

Just tried the new driver: No improvement

Post by fionmacool »

Hi, I hate to say that the new driver doesn't improve the Navigator problem with SU8 on a Mac.

Actually its slightly worse in that I can't see the toolbar anymore. Even though I can turn it on in extensions, there is no option to turn it on in the toolbar menu.

Did 3dconnexion test the driver fully?
Barbara

PopUp Menu replaces Toolbar

Post by Barbara »

Hello fionmacool,

In the Release 1.6.2 driver the options have been moved from a toolbar to the new pop-up menu. This is described in the 3DMouse News box that opens in SketchUp after you install the new driver.

The 3Dconnexion Pop-Up Menu for SketchUp is mapped to the left SpaceNavigator button by default.The Pop-Up Menu is also listed in the button mapping drop-down list.On the SpaceExplorer it is mapped to the Panel button.

The Pop-Up Menu for SketchUp contains the options for speed,Object Mode ,Camera Mode and Rotation Center.

You may have found the pop-up already - that should allow you to increase the overall speed for the SpaceNavigator.

Barbara