Spacemouse Wireless: Device Not Found

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

futnuh

Spacemouse Wireless: Device Not Found

Post by futnuh »

I've just purchased the SpaceMouse Wireless Kit for use with my MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.3. I have installed the latest (10.6.5) version of 3DxWare and rebooted (twice) but I'm seeing strange behaviour.
  1. I can control the mouse cursor position and scroll the CADMouse Wireless' middle wheel but left and right clicks don't seem to register
  2. I can control the mouse cursor with the SpaceMouse, click with the left and right buttons ... but the device doesn't show in Settings | 3Dconnexion | Tools (see screenshots below).
  3. If I try to launch the Trainer app from the 3Dconnexion Home app that launches on startup, Trainer seems to start briefly (show in the menu bar) and then quit.
Can anyone advise what the problem might be? I have uninstalled and reinstalled "Install 3Dconnexion software.pkg" twice.

futnuh

Re: Spacemouse Wireless: Device Not Found

Post by futnuh »

Well, I found my issue. This note in relation to Mojave still applies to Catalina: https://www.3dconnexion.com/nc/service/ ... ojave.html.

After allowing loading of the kernel extension, I can now see both the SpaceMouse and the CADMouse in the Device pane.

Unfortunately, when I run Fusion 360 (the application that I specifically wanted to use with the SpaceMouse), the cpu usage goes straight to 100%. And if I actually try to use the application, my laptop fan fires up and it's more like 160%. And half the time I start Fusion, the SpaceMouse doesn't function. So I uninstalled the kernel extension and immediately saw my idling Fusion cpu usage go back down to <10%.

This is really unfortunate. I was so looking forward to my SpaceMouse :-(