Space Mouse Pro Wireless and Blender 2.82a

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

AdeMorgan

Space Mouse Pro Wireless and Blender 2.82a

Post by AdeMorgan »

Pleased that my bundle arrived this morning to enable me to better control object and mouse movements etc in Blender ... formerly a sketchup make user so on the learning curve :)

Well the training mechanism for MacOS (Catalina) from 3DConnexion works fine and is simple to understand but it just doesn't do the same inside Blender and i've tinkered with things for quite a while now but cannot seem to get it to behave. One or two people have said hitting the menu button on the space mouse pro (same with Enterprise?) should bring up a 3D menu(context) in blender to enable you to tweak mouse settings....well it doesn't work on the space mouse pro and I've attached the included cad mouse pro to bypass the standard apple mouse whilst using Blender.

Has anyone got this working as expected as I'm extremely disappointed as purchased this on the basis of its certification.

Thx Ade

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4
3DXware 10 10.6.5
AdeMorgan

Re: Space Mouse Pro Wireless and Blender 2.82a

Post by AdeMorgan »

Ok so I've played around for hours with 3D Connexion and Blender settings and it's clear that there are no mappings from either Blender or 3D Connexions setup for the application. The glaring example is the application settings menu option within 3D's parameters is not available for Blender, in fact you have to select the Blender app and it pre-populates some of them as simply '3D mouse' but the mappings are included and have a pre-configured setup for Autocad, Maya, Sketchup etc...

So you have to wonder how on earth 3D connexion got or can claim certified for Blender at all?

Not able to add for example 'numpad, + 1 as a keystroke on a MAC, I know there is an option for emulating a numpad in Blender for that reason, but there are buttons on the space mouse for F, R, T which would be great for Front, Right and Top elevations, FIT and although Ive somehow managed to get the Shift, CTRL and ALT keys working the remaining buttons, ie MENU and the numbered buttons are completely useless.

Which one of these two companies are going to step up and sort this??? If not the mouse bundle will be returning to the space from whence it came with some pretty scathing reviews because it should work out the box if its been certified ....
headhacker

Post by headhacker »

Does anyone know if the SpaceMouse + Blender has improved in Blender 2.83 or 2.90a?

I'm considering buying a SpaceMouse Pro Wireless this weekend and would like to know that it will be usable in Blender.

Also in SketchUp, and X-Plane (maybe), but Blender would be a deal breaker.

I'm still on macOS 10.14.6 but plan to upgrade soon.

Thanks,
Jon
c4lliope

Post by c4lliope »

I did some research and came across a handy guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW2JYkyabnc
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Great !

I reset my 3Dconnexion driver for Blender to defaults.
Did not notice any changes in Blender.
Started to do some Blender Input NDOF setting changes,
everything went havoc.
Played a bit more with NDOF settings and reached again a
predictable and used Navigator behavior again that works
even with 3DConnexion default settings.