MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

bmxjeff

MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Post by bmxjeff »

MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

I have not had much luck with the 3D mouse in MacOS 11.0. The drivers are installed and listed in "Extensions" under the Software heading. The CAD mouse works great! But none of the Space Mice work.

To install them I had to disable "SIP" on the OS in recovery mode.

If anyone get's a temporary workaround or a beta, that would be great. I feel like I lost a hand : )
UtaSH

Re: MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Post by UtaSH »

Hi bmxjeff,

we are working on a solution for Big Sur. We aim to be able to provide a solution once this OS version is officially released (no beta).
RicoHo

Post by RicoHo »

Many companies already have published drivers for Big Sure. I'm in contact with many developers and often they need only some days to adapt their drivers and publish them. Why is 3Dconnexion so slow and not interested in supporting their users in this case?
RicoHo

Post by RicoHo »

I think it would be very helpful if you could publish a beta of the new driver here.
monkeygrip

Post by monkeygrip »

bmxjeff wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:58 am To install them I had to disable "SIP" on the OS in recovery mode.
i just tried and disabling SIP and it didn't work. how did you do it?
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

yeah still not drivers.. still no word.. they clearly don't want to even try as a company.. ever heard of anyone beta testing for them? I havent
GarthSnyder

Post by GarthSnyder »

monkeygrip wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 pm i just tried and disabling SIP and it didn't work. how did you do it?
I've seen in several places that some new procedure is needed on Big Sur, but the past procedure seemed to work fine for me: reboot in recovery mode, open the Terminal window, and run "csrutil disable". Once the system is rebooted normally, "csrutil status" still shows SIP as being disabled.

Although disabling SIP seemed to work, this had no effect on the SpaceNavigator drivers, which still don't even see the device. Perhaps the OP meant that disabling SIP was necessary to get the mouse devices to work?
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

They said there will be no Driver for a Beta,
just for when something will have been released.

So for Big Sur there might be still a few weeks of time ...

(Not to talk about Macs with Apple Silicon ...)
bmxjeff

Post by bmxjeff »

It does make it tough to develop tools that use 3D Connexion devices, when we can not use 3D Connexion devices.

Maybe, it's time for 3D Connexion to get some health competition. Right now, they do not have any real competitors making 3D Controllers.
bomtarnes

Post by bomtarnes »

As of Big Sur Beta 10- my spacemouse enterprise is working again- without any input from 3dconnexion. I do have SIP disabled still i believe.
GarthSnyder

Post by GarthSnyder »

bomtarnes wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:55 pm As of Big Sur Beta 10- my spacemouse enterprise is working again- without any input from 3dconnexion. I do have SIP disabled still i believe.
OMG, thanks so much for posting this -- it really made my day.

Actually, it still wasn't working for me in beta 10, but just knowing that it might be possible motivated me to do some more investigating. Here's what worked for me:
  • SIP is disabled. I had done this previously and don't know if it's necessary or not. You can tell if it's disabled by running csrutil status.
  • I reinstalled the 3DConnexion driver after deleting it by running /Applications/3Dconnexion/Uninstall 3Dconnexion Driver.app. The installation seemed to go fine, but the SpaceMouse still didn't work.
  • I noticed that the 3DConnexion kernel extension wasn't loaded. You can check for this with kmutil showloaded | grep 3dconnexion. You should see a line of output for com.3dconnexion.driver if the driver is loaded.
  • I loaded the driver by hand by running sudo kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/3Dconnexion.kext
  • After that, I had to disconnect the USB cable to the SpaceMouse and then reconnect it in order for the driver to notice that the device was there. My SpaceMouse is wireless, but I normally use it with the cable attached; not sure what the deal would be with a wireless connection.
  • This only works for the current boot. After rebooting, I still have to manually load the driver and reconnect the SpaceMouse to get it working again. There is probably some relatively straightforward fix that associates the kernel extension to the USB device; I just don't know how to do it.
GarthSnyder

Post by GarthSnyder »

Just a followup: there are good instructions for loading the driver kext at startup at https://superuser.com/questions/47233/h ... 7373#47373.

Don't use the exact command shown there; the kext system is a little different now. Here's a version that should work unmodified:

Code: Select all

<!--See https://superuser.com/questions/47233/how-can-i-force-a-mac-os-x-kext-to-load-prior-to-login/47373#47373 -->
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>KeepAlive</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>com.garthsnyder.3dconnexion</string>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
                <string>/usr/bin/kmutil</string>
		<string>load</string>
		<string>-p</string>
                <string>/Library/Extensions/3Dconnexion.kext</string>
        </array>
        <key>RunAtLoad</key>
        <true/>
        <key>StandardErrorPath</key>
        <string>/dev/null</string>
        <key>StandardOutPath</key>
        <string>/dev/null</string>
        <key>UserName</key>
        <string>root</string>
</dict>
</plist>
Jpwolfe

Post by Jpwolfe »

I loaded the driver by hand by running sudo kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/3Dconnexion.kext
When I run this in Terminal, I get the message

Code: Select all

Extension with identifiers com.3dconnexion.driver not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences.
Any known solution for this?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

Big Sur doesn't allow kernel extensions anymore. Our new (not yet released) driver will handle this completely different. In case you already are using a beta of Big Sur please please contact our Technical Support Team.
falconbrad

Post by falconbrad »

Can we expect the new driver to drop in time for Big Sur's release in two days? Or should we still be contacting you guys to get access to your driver beta?