MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

marcarch

Re: MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:49 amIs this something new in macOS 11 (a regression)?
I really can't remember now.
ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:49 am If you move the wheel on the opposite direction (even if only slightly) or press a button, the dynamic scroll should stop.
Yes I know, but Smart scroll should stop when a page or a document ends too, I mean, when the infinite scroll can't go further.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:00 am Yes I know, but Smart scroll should stop when a page or a document ends too, I mean, when the infinite scroll can't go further.
It's not infinite: it's implemented as an "inertial wheel with friction": the scrolling beings to "die down" as soon as the user stop flicking it, just as if the wheel was made out of a heavy piece of metal, spinning freely in bearing.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:27 am It's not infinite: it's implemented as an "inertial wheel with friction": the scrolling beings to "die down" as soon as the user stop flicking it, just as if the wheel was made out of a heavy piece of metal, spinning freely in bearing.
I see, so it makes sense that the spinning wheel stops as soon as it find the end of the page
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:02 am I see, so it makes sense that the spinning wheel stops as soon as it find the end of the page
From what I can see, the device is operating as expected and this isn't a driver problem in macOS 11.

If I'm mistaken and you're looking a driver bug in macOS 11 (a regression compared to the driver for macOS 10.15 and older), please indicate what the issue is and we will look into it. Otherwise, I suggest reporting what appears to be a feature request in a separate topic.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 am From what I can see, the device is operating as expected and this isn't a driver problem in macOS 11.
Ok, so it's probably an old bug.
And, anyway, this virtual wheel spins too much. Needs more friction, or customizable friction... I already requested this in the past.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:12 am Ok, so it's probably an old bug.
And, anyway, this virtual wheel spins too much. Needs more friction, or customizable friction... I already requested this in the past.
If it does not work for you, why not simply disable the feature? There's a check box in the "3Dconnexion" pane in System Preferences to disable "Smart Scrolling". If this isn't working, then that would be a bug in the new driver and we will need to look into it.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:24 am If it does not work for you, why not simply disable the feature? There's a check box in the "3Dconnexion" pane in System Preferences to disable "Smart Scrolling". If this isn't working, then that would be a bug in the new driver and we will need to look into it.
Smart Scrolling is useful, but need improvements.
Here's another short video to let you better understand the (old) bug or issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ivR1F ... sp=sharing

As you can see the issue happens when you have a double windowed software. I want to scroll where my cursor is, not port the scrolling command to the side window of that software.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:37 am Smart Scrolling is useful, but need improvements.
Understood. I think we're going off topic here.

If the driver and device are working as expected (although not necessarily as you'd like), please continue this discussion in a separate thread.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:53 am If the driver and device are working as expected (although not necessarily as you'd like), please continue this discussion in a separate thread.
Ok I'll start a new topic, but, just to better understand, is it working as expected for you (3Dx staff)?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Announcement copied from here:
The "beta 15" (revision r3318) of the new driver for macOS was released earlier today. The software can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here. A change history summary is available on the top post.

We have resolved a couple of issues affecting macros in radial menus (MAC-267) and interfering with modifier key operation in keyboard (MAC-290). The core driver is now built natively for the ARM64 platform (M1 chip).
PDBreske

Post by PDBreske »

UtaSH wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 am Hi bmxjeff,

we are working on a solution for Big Sur. We aim to be able to provide a solution once this OS version is officially released (no beta).
LOL
daokuniel

Post by daokuniel »

Let's make a kickstarter campaign, hire coders, flash the devices and use own drivers, kinda feel it's going to be faster.
nextr

Post by nextr »

I know that there are issues posted about Big Sur and M1 silicon, but is it normal that not even the basic keystroke buttons work on a space mouse pro?
And is the latest driver still the Big Sur beta? Its 6 mos old now.
(Version 10.7.0 r3333 – Beta 16 – published on 11/05/2021)

The navigation knob functions, but almost nothing else: CNTL, ALT, Shift, Esc buttons are all dead and unable to reassign. When pressing buttons with mac's keyboard viewer, nothing seems to register.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Spacemouse Pro (~new)
Mac mini M1 (new)
OS 11.4
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:03 pm I know that there are issues posted about Big Sur and M1 silicon, but is it normal that not even the basic keystroke buttons work on a space mouse pro?
What may seen like a basic feature isn't. There's much more involved than simple buttons being pressed. If this was simple, it would have been finished months ago and we would not have needed a kernel extension even for older operating system versions.
And is the latest driver still the Big Sur beta? Its 6 mos old now.
(Version 10.7.0 r3333 – Beta 16 – published on 11/05/2021)
The build of r3333 is a few weeks old, not six months. If you're referring to the time since we have a beta for driver v. 10.7.0, it's well over a year now since we have it, first as a closed beta and then publicly.
The driver had to be published publicly on Nov 12 with the release of macOS 11 even if it was not finished. At least customers had something that could be made to work, even if with limitations. The alternative was to have nothing.
The navigation knob functions, but almost nothing else: CNTL, ALT, Shift, Esc buttons are all dead and unable to reassign.
That's what we are working on presently: restoring the keyboard emulation.
nextr

Post by nextr »

That's what we are working on presently: restoring the keyboard emulation.
I appreciate the explanation and confirmation.

Was loving the Zbrush sculpting so much with the spacemouse that I bought a new, faster Mac :).
Such fluid left hand ergonomics: zoom, rotation, shift, alt, cntl, brush changes, undo, etc, with minimal left hand jumps to the keyboard.

I appreciate the work you are doing. Thanks again.