MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

UtaSH

Re: MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Post by UtaSH »

dyvog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:00 pm
Okay, and what solutions are there for me to update the firmware on my mouse if I don't have access to a PC? Isn't It a bit odd to require a PC to update a Mouse to be Mac compatible?
Hi dyvog,

please contact our Technical Support Team. They will assist you.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

Another feedback for the backlog: make all the software (except for 3Dconnexion Home) not listed is macOS Launchpad.
Very easy to implement (just change a variable in the code), but definitely not a priority.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexon has released "beta 11" (revision r3288) of the new driver for macOS. The "beta 11" build can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here. A summary of the change history is available here.

We have addressed an instability in one driver that caused Chief Architect to crash.

Keystroke actions can now use modifier keys (Shift, Control, Option, Cmd). This change should also restore the modifier keys in SpaceMouse models with these keys (SpaceMouse Enterprise, SpaceMouse Pro).

Note the issue with modifier keys when using a CadMouse button remains pending. We're tracking that problem as MAC-268.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:45 am 3Dconnexon has released "beta 11" (revision r3288) of the new driver for macOS. The "beta 11" build can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here. A summary of the change history is available here.

We have addressed an instability in one driver that caused Chief Architect to crash.

Keystroke actions can now use modifier keys (Shift, Control, Option, Cmd). This change should also restore the modifier keys in SpaceMouse models with these keys (SpaceMouse Enterprise, SpaceMouse Pro).

Note the issue with modifier keys when using a CadMouse button remains pending. We're tracking that problem as MAC-268.
Thank you for the beta update.
What about the hovering (from the center outwards) to perform RM virtual buttons feature not working?
ms1

Post by ms1 »

Whatever happened to the firmware update tool for macOS?
I'ts been quiet a while now...
Robertfouquet

Post by Robertfouquet »

Any word on when a fully functioning update is expected for the mouse on Big Sur? I use Chief Architect and had to completely delete the driver because I couldn’t even open any 3D views as long as the driver was installed after talking with IT at Chief Architect. I’m currently using a $5 Walmart mouse in the meantime.
dyvog

Post by dyvog »

UtaSH wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:32 am
dyvog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:00 pm
Okay, and what solutions are there for me to update the firmware on my mouse if I don't have access to a PC? Isn't It a bit odd to require a PC to update a Mouse to be Mac compatible?
Hi dyvog,

please contact our Technical Support Team. They will assist you.
Hi, so I contacted Technical support and they said a Windows device is required to update the firmware on my mouse.

I reiterate; why should I need to use a Windows device to make my mouse function in a Mac environment? Furthermore I CAN'T use a windows device because I don't have one, and we're in a lockdown. Can't 3DS Connexion make the firmware update-able through Mac OS?
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

AFAIK
the Mac Firmware Updater comes with the release driver for Mac (?)
The Windows firmware updater is just an option for those with Windows access to
already test the firmware while beta driver phase.

Yes, of course it would have been better when the Mac Driver would have been
already ready for Big Sur release.
davantbar

Post by davantbar »

Having installed this beta with great expectations, I'm sorry to report that the modifier keys (Shift, Control, Option, Cmd) on my SpaceMouse Pro are still not working in zbrush 2021.5.1 on MacOS Big Sur 11.1 ~ Very disappointing. An expensive investment, effectively useless, until this issue is resolved.
ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:45 am 3Dconnexon has released "beta 11" (revision r3288) of the new driver for macOS. The "beta 11" build can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here. A summary of the change history is available here.

dblock

Post by dblock »

I am using a mac pro running Big Sur 11.1. I have the 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Enterprise and I am noticing two issue. The first is the mouse prevents my computer from going to sleep. The second is the mouse does not work with FreeCad. Is there something I am missing? Is there a setting that will fix the issue with the computer not going to sleep? Also will you be fixing the issue with FreeCad?
dblock

Post by dblock »

I am using a mac pro running Big Sur 11.1. I have the 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Enterprise and I am noticing two issue. The first is the mouse prevents my computer from going to sleep. The second is the mouse does not work with FreeCad. Is there something I am missing? Is there a setting that will fix the issue with the computer not going to sleep? Also will you be fixing the issue with FreeCad?
phil8900

Post by phil8900 »

ngomes wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:20 am The mouse wheel not working is unexpected. I cannot immediately recall a report of an issue with the mouse wheel.
Hey,
the mouse wheel is working to scroll up and down, but the mouse wheel button is still not working with driver version v10-7-0_r3288.

Any ideas?
phil8900

Post by phil8900 »

To be sure that the mouse button is not working and the issue is not a problem with Archicad I used the following web page:

https://www.onlinemictest.com/de/maus-test/

The mouse wheel button doesn't do anything when the Cadmouse is connected via Bluetooth. I then tried to use the mouse with a cable but that didn't change the behaviour.

The mouse wheel button is working with a different mouse.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

dyvog wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:44 pm I reiterate; why should I need to use a Windows device to make my mouse function in a Mac environment? Furthermore I CAN'T use a windows device because I don't have one, and we're in a lockdown. Can't 3DS Connexion make the firmware update-able through Mac OS?
We're working on it but it is going to take a while before we can distribute it to customers.

We're suggesting customers to use the Windows software since it is already available and avoids delays for those with access to the platform.
Nuno Gomes
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

I'll just add another datapoint for the Maya issues.

I purchased a SpaceMouse Pro Wireless a few weeks ago and as expected that didn't fix the viewport glitching. In Big Sur wired or wireless the viewport glitching has not changed, so it was not a hardware issue with my previous SpaceNavigator.
I also connected it to the Macbook running Catalina, and the older driver, no issues there. No viewport glitching with 10.6.3.
So this is definitely an issue introduced driver side after 10.6.3.

I remembered to capture the more severe glitch, that happens every now and then, earlier today too. Not sure if this is helpful, but the "regular glitching" is constant, the viewport jumping to another position and back again in a fraction of a second, this issue happens once a week maybe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeXbrMTjj2w
There is not really a noticeable reason or trigger for this suddenly happening. But when it does as you can see vertices just jump around the space, and back, and to another place, and objects disappear, and come back and, I don't know what else :P All I know is when this starts happening I need to save my file and restart Maya, if I don't Maya crashes in a minute or so. Also, saving while the vertices jump around has no ill effect on the vertices. When reopening the file, everything looks perfectly fine.
When this happens, when I let go of the knob things change. The scene looks one way, I move the knob and as long as I do everything looks the same. The second I let go or let all the axis go back to 0, the scene throws vertices to a different location where they stay. If I move the know everything is like the new position. Let go of the knob, random new positions for vertices. Move knob it's like that, let go, new positions, etc.
So like with the regular glitch, letting all the know axis get back to zero causes chaos. Moving the knob is fine, letting go is the problem :P

And three minor non critical issues I'm seeing with the SpaceMouse:
  • The Shift, Ctrl, etc buttons not working, but that is a known issue.
  • The LEDs can only be on when it's connected through a wire. Wirelessly they turn on when I switch the SpaceMouse one, but they turn off 5 seconds later (both the blue ring and the green LED under the logo).
  • And the System Settings tab seems to think the SpaceMouse is running firmware 0.00 (both wired and wireless).

These are not big issues, just thought I'd mention them :)
It's time to roll the dice...