MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Post by ngomes »

Hi hausarkitekt,
hausarkitekt wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:17 am Future support for orignial CadMouse, CadMouse wireless, SpaceNavigator, SpaceNavigator wireless.

[...]

Is it correct that all the mentioned devices on top of my post will not work with Big Sur and you are not working on at fix anymore?
Your SpaceNavigator and SpaceMouse Wirless are expected to work well in macOS 11. We are aware of a few issues with specific application instances like SketchUp and Cinema 4D but otherwise these devices will work as expected.

But that isn't the case for the CadMouse (wired) and CadMouse Wireless (CMW). These aren't supported now and we just don't know if we can restore functionality in the new operating system version.

We did try to avoid dropping support for the original CadMouse, the CMW and CadMouse (any type) over Universal Receiver but we weren't able to do so before the release of macOS 11.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:03 am Still can't get why you can't update the old CadMouse in order to show itself to the OS as the new CadMouse...
The CadMouse and the CadMouse Wirless are based on completely different platforms but even if they were similar, it's not a simply "change a value and recompile" fix. If it was that easy, it would have happened years ago.
Yeah, it's too late now, you definitely had time to tell us users about this issue.
We tried to support the older CadMouse types but weren't able to. That's what it was.

And here we are. We're disappointed for letting our customers down. Long-term support for our device is something our engineers (myself included) take pride on. On this instance, we weren't able to meet all of our objectives. We're still working to improve the software.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:30 am The CadMouse and the CadMouse Wirless are based on completely different platforms but even if they were similar, it's not a simply "change a value and recompile" fix. If it was that easy, it would have happened years ago.
So there's no way to get them working. Fullstop.
I don't know that Apple changed in macOS, but what if Microsoft is going to do the same in Windows?
We tried to support the older CadMouse types but weren't able to. That's what it was.

And here we are. We're disappointed for letting our customers down. Long-term support for our device is something our engineers (myself included) take pride on. On this instance, we weren't able to meet all of our objectives. We're still working to improve the software.
I believe and understand what engineers did, but, please, understand that on the other side there are users, your users, that today can't work. Our work relies a lot on the mouse we use (that's why we chose CadMouse).
We naturally update our OS, but nobody told us that this time it would make our mouse useless.
3Dconnexion engineers were trying to solve the issue since June 2019, why didn't you alert your users that the next macOS update would break mouse compatibility, before the official macOS update release?
I do understand that you're still improving the software, but you already told us that this won't restore older mouse compatibility.

So yes, here we are now: I can't work on macOS as yesterday. Would 3Dconnexion give me a discount if I'm buying the new CadMouse?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:16 am So there's no way to get them working. Fullstop.
We don't know, marcarch. We tried before and we were unable to do so but we don't know if there is no way.
3Dconnexion engineers were trying to solve the issue since June 2019, why didn't you alert your users that the next macOS update would break mouse compatibility, before the official macOS update release?
Because we were trying to support old devices. That's why the software isn't ready yet.

We had a plan and it didn't work at all. It looks like one issue may have been fixed in macOS 11 beta 7 but by then it was far too late and we had to take a different approach. That second approach forced us to remove support for older device types.
xlr8tr

Post by xlr8tr »

ngomes wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 am
We had a plan and it didn't work at all. It looks like one issue may have been fixed in macOS 11 beta 7 but by then it was far too late and we had to take a different approach. That second approach forced us to remove support for older device types.
When you say older devices does that include the two mice I purchased as part of the space mouse enterprise kits I purchased in April 2020? They appear to be the original CADmouse.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

xlr8tr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:49 am When you say older devices does that include the two mice I purchased as part of the space mouse enterprise kits I purchased in April 2020? They appear to be the original CADmouse.
I can't say as I do not know when those products were launched.

Checking the product page, I can see there's a SpaceMouse Enterprise Kit 2. This seems to a second iteration of the kit and includes the CadMouse Pro Wireless (CMPW). The CMPW is expected to work fine in macOS 11.

Check the label under your CadMouse (if wireless) or attached to the cable (if wired). It will state the exact product name.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 am We don't know, marcarch. We tried before and we were unable to do so but we don't know if there is no way.

Beta 7 was released in September, you had more than 1 month to alert us to not update to Big Sur.

Anyway,
we updated our machines now and other users who didn't yet, will update soon after.

To make it clear: in order to work as cad designers, we need CadMouse to work, can 3Dconnexion give us a timeframe for a possible resolution? Or will this take long so it's better to just buy the new CadMouse?
xlr8tr

Post by xlr8tr »

ngomes wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:25 am
xlr8tr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:49 am When you say older devices does that include the two mice I purchased as part of the space mouse enterprise kits I purchased in April 2020? They appear to be the original CADmouse.
I can't say as I do not know when those products were launched.

Checking the product page, I can see there's a SpaceMouse Enterprise Kit 2. This seems to a second iteration of the kit and includes the CadMouse Pro Wireless (CMPW). The CMPW is expected to work fine in macOS 11.

Check the label under your CadMouse (if wireless) or attached to the cable (if wired). It will state the exact product name.
It says CADmouse on the base and they are wired. It doesn't matter when it was launched the fact remains I bought two expensive kits only seven months ago and now you're telling us that this product is obsolete.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

xlr8tr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:09 am It says CADmouse on the base and they are wired.
That looks like the original CadMouse (wired), yes, one of the device types we are unable to support on macOS 11.
KlaudioPer

Post by KlaudioPer »

ngomes wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:25 am

[/quote]

ngomes and what about the top line product such the Space Mouse Enterprise ? I have already post my issues related to the Big Sur update, and I also contacted the support (without any answer, yet!)
Here again:

- The Display (reason why I spent almost $500 for this product) doesn't show the Icons, but text only.. This is an old problem, never addressed !!
- The Lock rotation button is NOT working anymore. This is one of the most used function, especially in sketch mode (F360)....
- Buttons 1 to 12 doesn't correspond to the mapping assigned. In F360 they only activate the "Appearance" nothing else!
- Custom View buttons are not working (this is an old issue)

Once again, without the use of the custom buttons, the possibility to lock the rotation and the unreadable "text only" on the screen. the $500 top of the line SpaceMouse enterprise becomes completely useless for MacOS users!

Please tell us, how does your company is going to make this things right and how fast?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

KlaudioPer wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:56 am - The Display (reason why I spent almost $500 for this product) doesn't show the Icons, but text only.. This is an old problem, never addressed !!
This is a feature not yet available on the Mac. We will get there but the focus has in been in ensuring the core functionality.

- The Lock rotation button is NOT working anymore. This is one of the most used function, especially in sketch mode (F360)....
This appears to be a bug in the SpaceMouse Enterprise (SME) default button assignments or in the "lock rotation" driver function. This is expected to be fixed before we exit the beta of the new driver (v. 10.7.0).
- Buttons 1 to 12 doesn't correspond to the mapping assigned. In F360 they only activate the "Appearance" nothing else!
As mentioned above, I think there's something not quite right with the default button assignments in some scenarios. We'll be fixing this.
- Custom View buttons are not working (this is an old issue)
Can you give us some additional details? We expect the Custom Views to work on applications such as SketchUp, Onshape, Maya and the 3Dconnexion Viewer. Not all applications have support for this feature.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

Does macOS 11.1 beta improves something :?:
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:31 am Does macOS 11.1 beta improves something :?:
Unlikely. The new driver no longer depends on low-level components like kernel or system extensions. It's currently pure user-mode software.
Peter Fagerberg

Post by Peter Fagerberg »

Any information on when 3DxWare will work with Cinema 4D again? Are we talking days, weeks?

Gosh, I wish you guys had been aware of Big Sur before it launched... Take this the right way - your products are simply great and we all rely on them every day in our work. When they fail, users like me hurt a little bit. :-)
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Peter Fagerberg wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:08 am Any information on when 3DxWare will work with Cinema 4D again? Are we talking days, weeks?
This is one our top priorities. We know what was up with SketchUp but Cinema 4D we do not.
Gosh, I wish you guys had been aware of Big Sur before it launched... Take this the right way - your products are simply great and we all rely on them every day in our work. When they fail, users like me hurt a little bit. :-)
We were only too aware of macOS 11. This hasn't been an easy ride for us and it is not over yet.