MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

marcarch

Re: MacOS 11.00 (Big Sur)

Post by marcarch »

lbeale wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:55 am Hi,

I'm having the following issues with the CadMouse Wireless and Compact Wireless with the latest Beta driver (both still drop connection and have to be disconnected from bluetooth, powercycled and re-connected after sleep). The RM tools/views button is non-functional and the smart scroll feature is impossible to disable (clicking on smart scroll from the 3DConnexion pane doesn't make a change).
Did you try to use them without the driver?
If the issue persist without the beta driver installed, try to update the firmware (You need a Win machine to perform this).
If the issue still persist try the mouse with another mac
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

RVeldhuyzen wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:28 am Well, it's been a week without a response to my request for the older drive, any chance you can help there ngomes?
Can you please send me the request number in a private message?
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

Sure thing, thanks.
It's time to roll the dice...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Kiera Rae wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:57 am I am having the same issue, it worked for the past 12 years and now nothing. I use firestorm.
From what we can gather, this is probably only something Linden Lab can sort out. See my post
here (also copied below).
ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 am We believe the issue with Second Life / Firestorm isn't related to the driver but rather the new operating system version. Second Life does not use the driver API to support 3Dconnexion's products, relying instead on a system interface.

We recommend our customers, users of Second Life, to get in touch with Linden Lab and see if they can look into the issue.
Kiera Rae

Post by Kiera Rae »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:54 am
Kiera Rae wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:57 am I am having the same issue, it worked for the past 12 years and now nothing. I use firestorm.
From what we can gather, this is probably only something Linden Lab can sort out. See my post
here (also copied below).
ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 am We believe the issue with Second Life / Firestorm isn't related to the driver but rather the new operating system version. Second Life does not use the driver API to support 3Dconnexion's products, relying instead on a system interface.

We recommend our customers, users of Second Life, to get in touch with Linden Lab and see if they can look into the issue.
Hello noms, thank you for that, that is the reason why I used firestorm, because that is a third party application, the second life application the one from linden lab doesn't work with the mouse, it used to have a driver in their system but that was never updated. That is why I am hoping that in the new driver from 3D, there is a fix for firestorm, in the Beta version, there is still the firestorm application, only it doesn't talk with second life anymore. And I have been looking for an other device but so far nothing.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Kiera Rae wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:40 am Hello noms, thank you for that, that is the reason why I used firestorm, because that is a third party application, the second life application the one from linden lab doesn't work with the mouse, it used to have a driver in their system but that was never updated. That is why I am hoping that in the new driver from 3D, there is a fix for firestorm, in the Beta version, there is still the firestorm application, only it doesn't talk with second life anymore. And I have been looking for an other device but so far nothing.
I'm not familiar with Firestorm but I believe the issue is similar to that of Second Life: the application uses a system interface to access the device data, bypassing 3Dconnexon's driver and API. We don't know why Firestorm would stop working in macOS 11 but it may be related to changes in the operating system, not in limitations of the 3Dconnexion driver.
lbeale

Post by lbeale »

marcarch wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:03 am
lbeale wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:55 am Hi,

I'm having the following issues with the CadMouse Wireless and Compact Wireless with the latest Beta driver (both still drop connection and have to be disconnected from bluetooth, powercycled and re-connected after sleep). The RM tools/views button is non-functional and the smart scroll feature is impossible to disable (clicking on smart scroll from the 3DConnexion pane doesn't make a change).
Did you try to use them without the driver?
If the issue persist without the beta driver installed, try to update the firmware (You need a Win machine to perform this).
If the issue still persist try the mouse with another mac
I have now tried without the driver installed, and it seems that the connection doesn't drop (updated firmware on CadMouse Wireless). However, no RM tools/view button and smart scroll is still not possible to disable. Since I also use a SpaceMouse Wireless, this solution isn't a permanent one for me. These features all worked fine before the Big Sur upgrade.
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:58 am
RVeldhuyzen wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:28 am Well, it's been a week without a response to my request for the older drive, any chance you can help there ngomes?
Can you please send me the request number in a private message?
Thanks for reaching out. Your colleague reached out and sent me a link to the 10.6.3 driver. I installed that on the Macbook running Catalina and it works perfectly fine in Maya 2019 and 2020. No viewport glitches or crashes at all. Installing any newer driver again introduces the glitches again. So it is definitely an issue that was introduced after 10.6.3.

Installing this driver on Big Sur doesn't work, when the software starts it asks me to click the "allow" button for "3Dconnexion S.A.M." in the Security and Privacy window, but as expected that button doesn't show up in Big Sur.

I hope you guys can figure out what the issue is and fix it :)

So fresh installs of Maya 2019 and 2020 on 2 different Macs running 2 different versions of MacOS both have the viewport glitch with drivers 10.6.4 and up while 10.6.3 works fine on the system that supports that driver.
It's time to roll the dice...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexon released "beta 9" (revision r3278) of the new driver for macOS. As before, the "beta" build can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here.

We have fixed several issues affecting buttons of CadMouse types. Support for SpaceMouse types is mostly unchanged.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:43 am We have fixed several issues affecting buttons of CadMouse types. Support for SpaceMouse types is mostly unchanged.
Thank you! Going to test it during this weekend.

Another nerd curiosity: do you believe Apple, or probably it's better saying, industry standards will ever "kill" SpaceMouse over UR (in the near future)? Why does SpaceMouse uses only 2.4 Ghz UR?
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

With the last beta driver I can't manage to get button 3+Shift working.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:18 am Another nerd curiosity: do you believe Apple, or probably it's better saying, industry standards will ever "kill" SpaceMouse over UR (in the near future)?
I believe the SpaceMouse over UR is safe but note we did not expect the CadMouse issues introduced in OS X 10.10.
Why does SpaceMouse uses only 2.4 Ghz UR?
When 3Dconnexion developed the platform for what became the SpaceMouse Wireless (launched in late 2013), the "Bluetooth Low Energy" (BLE) technology was not yet mature enough. Compared to the older Bluetooth technology (v. 2.1 and older), the 2.4GHz solution offered a low-power solution (just like BLE) with a simplified implementation.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:45 am With the last beta driver I can't manage to get button 3+Shift working.
Is it only an issue with the "Shift" action? We're tracking a bug with keyboard emulation actions.

Please confirm if the middle mouse button now works as expected on SketchUp or a web browser.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:09 am Is it only an issue with the "Shift" action? We're tracking a bug with keyboard emulation actions.

Please confirm if the middle mouse button now works as expected on SketchUp or a web browser.
Yes, seems an issue with the keyboard action. The Button 3 now works as expected in web browsers, Finder, Terminal etc. and in SketchUp or AutoCAD as well.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:42 am Yes, seems an issue with the keyboard action.
Thank you for the confirmation. This is a known issue and we are tracking it with reference MAC-267.