macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:03 am Is it possible or somehow easy to port it over? I find it very useful, would make the mouse experience more coherent and truly multi platform.
I believe it is possible, yes. I've opened MAC-281 to track this request but do note that this set to a lower priority than M1 support (on-going) and the "virtual keyboard" feature (needed to restore the modifier key emulation).
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:10 am
marcarch wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:03 am Is it possible or somehow easy to port it over? I find it very useful, would make the mouse experience more coherent and truly multi platform.
I believe it is possible, yes. I've opened MAC-281 to track this request but do note that this set to a lower priority than M1 support (on-going) and the "virtual keyboard" feature (needed to restore the modifier key emulation).
Thank you, hope to find it in the upcoming official release.
Also, a customizable Smart scroll speed setting would be appreciated. At the moment I find it too speedy.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:13 am Thank you, hope to find it in the upcoming official release.
MAC-281 is unlikely to be completed before 10.7.0 is out.
Wyldfire42

Post by Wyldfire42 »

I'm a little mystified, after having read this thread I expected that the software/drivers wouldn't work (yet) on my M1 Mac. But I have remnants of it installed from migrating to the M1 from my previous Intel machine, so I tried installing the latest (3291) beta anyway just to see what it'd do.

To my surprise it... works?? The demo app in the control panel, and all my software that worked before work again now on my M1 Mini. Is that supposed to happen? (lol)

This is a SpaceMouse compact, wired USB. Is it just "advanced" stuff or features on the other products that aren't expected to work yet? Am I missing obvious things that will be broken?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Wyldfire42 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:31 pm To my surprise it... works?? The demo app in the control panel, and all my software that worked before work again now on my M1 Mini. Is that supposed to happen? (lol)
It actually is supposed to happen. It's the Rosetta 2 feature included in macOS 11.

What 3Dconnexion is working on is putting together a "universal" driver where the bundle includes both native code for Intel systems as well as for the M1.
This is a SpaceMouse compact, wired USB. Is it just "advanced" stuff or features on the other products that aren't expected to work yet?
We're tracking two significant issues: modifier key emulation (Shift, Control, Config, Cmd) and a performance problem in Google Earth. The former is well understood: until we can deploy a replacement to the technology used in macOS 10.15 and older (a kernel extension), modifier key emulation has limitation since it will only work in conjunction with mouse and keyboard actions (a Control+S keystroke works but standalone Control does not). Depending on the target application, this may be a severe limitation or not at all.

The Google Earth performance issue is something we cannot find a cause.
nMh

Post by nMh »

Im experiencing the same behavior in Vectorworks with a space navigator and newly purchased space mouse compact: random extreme zoom-out.
Updated to 10.7.0 (3291) and still suffering.
any resolutions on your end?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nMh wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:38 am Im experiencing the same behavior in Vectorworks with a space navigator and newly purchased space mouse compact: random extreme zoom-out.
Is this VectorWorks 2021? We were recently in contact with them recently and I believe there's a plan to make some changes to 3D mouse support in a upcoming version.

Can you give us some details on how we can reproduce this issue? We have been unable to see this in-house.
nMh

Post by nMh »

ngomes wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:23 pm
nMh wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:38 am Im experiencing the same behavior in Vectorworks with a space navigator and newly purchased space mouse compact: random extreme zoom-out.
Is this VectorWorks 2021? We were recently in contact with them recently and I believe there's a plan to make some changes to 3D mouse support in a upcoming version.

Can you give us some details on how we can reproduce this issue? We have been unable to see this in-house.
Yes, VW2021. I've tried to replicate it, semi-scientifically and there doesn't seem to be any correlation to a particular axis of rotation. This is somewhat anecdotal, but it seems to occur most often after about 15-20 seconds of active use. Wish I had more for you.
kaz911

Post by kaz911 »

Just dug out my old SpacePilot Pro

That seems to almost work.

But "Mapping" / "Type Keystroke" / Keystroke = ... "Keystroke = Command+- and Command+Shift+=) the MODE part does not work. No matter if mode is set to 1 per second or 10 per second - zoom in / out happens at the same speed.

Threshold Slider works.

So I think the "Mode:' part is not timed right at least with Safari. "Press and Hold" seem to work but any other timings does not.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

TBRr wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:20 am unfortunately the space navigator only works for a short time in vectorworks and then completely flips.......
I see this too on M1 Mac Mini.
Very annoying.

Vectorworks 2021 SP2.1

You can navugate a few seconds and suddenly the geometry jumps out of drawing window.
If you zoom fit, you will get your geometry back but arbitrarily rotated, like upside down.

At least for old Space Navigator, my 2 button Assignments,
Keystroke X to switch to selection tool and Keystroke ? to fit view, do work.

For SM Enterprise, beside the view related buttons right hand, nearly no button works in VW,
beside the pure 3D Navigation.
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

Just updated to Mac OS 11.2 and installed 3DxWare v10-7-0_r3291. After re-pairing the 3D spacemouse works with the trainer up to step 4 (rotate the teapot) then it stops working. So 11.2 did nothing to help. Not very smooth for the first 3 trainer steps seems hard to move.
FabLab RUC

Post by FabLab RUC »

Are there any chance my CadMouse Wireless will ever run like it used to on BigSur? The bluetooth connection is a nice workaround but connection was better and more stable with the dongle. And seemed to use less battery, but that might just be coincidental. Also, will M1 support come around? I plan on moving to M1 when and if the rumoured new macbook pros arrive later this year.
FabLab RUC

Post by FabLab RUC »

Will my CadMouse Wireless ever run on BigSur like it did before? The bluetooth workaround is nice and all, but connection stability will never be as good as it was with the dongle. Also it seemed that the mouse used less battery, but that might just be a coincidence. Is M1 support coming? I'm planning on moving as soon as the rumoured new Macbook Pros arrive sometime this year.

best /schack
SILBA

Post by SILBA »

ngomes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 am
SILBA wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:39 am One suggestion would be to not offer it on the Mac for new customers until you get past the beta testing.
I don't know how we can tell new customers from recurring customers.

Anyway, what we're focused on is supporting existing customers that have already upgraded macOS 11 and maintaining the software for macOS 10.15 (and older).
Well, when I purchased it about a month ago from the website I got the impression that the device would be fully functional on the Mac. It would have been nice if there was some information there to inform me of the existing issues with the MacOS. There was a good chance I would have waited until the issues were resolved before buying it. Looking forward to the next release of the driver.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

FabLab RUC wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:37 pm Are there any chance my CadMouse Wireless will ever run like it used to on BigSur?
Wireless CadMouse support over dongle (Universal Receiver) is unsupported in macOS 11 and, regrettably, we expect no change going forward.
Also, will M1 support come around?
Yes. Work to create "universal" binaries of our driver software is on-going.